www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash - true sizes

Flash - true sizes ~~Solved~~

Hi, not sure where to put this thread so I thought of trying here in the graphics...

so the question is... is there a way to determine the true size of a flash window. For instance when you download a flash game and you would like to put it up somewhere else then you must know the correct size for the best quality, without the jigsaw edges

...and ofcourse without looking back at the original site, cus what if the site is no longer there....
    Last edited by Siddan; 09-02-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Well, if you have a graphics editor, you could take a screenshot, crop the screenshot to only the flash image, and then see how big it is. And then there always is one last option -- you could count.

well, that is what I have been doing, doing a screen capture and paste it in PS.. but still, opening the flash file straight in IE explorer then there is no fixed size, I can freely resize the window and the screen content of the flash will adjust to it.

I remember a flash intro I did once, when I didnīt have the correct size and just openend the flash file in explorer then the graphics looked very bad, edgy and so on, but when I had the size fixed in (embed src) then it looked crystal clear... I knew the correct size of that file since I created it...

was just hoping maybe some hidden information is stored inside the file,,,, just like a JPG picture file created from a digital camera

If you have Flash, you could try opening the *.swf file with it -- that may display the object's size. I know exactly what you mean as far as the enlarged, pixelated and distorted image.

Look at source code

The exact height and width parameters of a flash movie can be seen in the source code.

For instance, if you have a look at the source code at http://www.motivationvault.com/software/index.html you will find the size parameters a little ways down after the <object> tag

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,42,0"
    id="calipersIntro" width="200" height="188">

Hope this helps

On the other hand...

If, on the other hand, you have only the swf file and no page to view the source code from, then you need to find an swf viewer that will show that information.

One program that comes with an swf viewer is Swift Optimizer V2.0 from http://www.swishsoft.com/products.htm

The picture below shows what Swift Optimizer V2.0 viewer looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hypnoseeker; 09-02-2004 at 03:25 AM.

thank you thank you hypnoseeker..

that swift optimizer is exactly what I need, alltho it doesnīt open the file in its true size but it shows the dimensions in the corner.

Very nice , thanks again

You're more than welcome, Siddan

I use Swift Optimizer V2.0 all the time. All of my flash tutorials are as small as I can make them and it amazes me how much more this program can compress an already small file.

I'm also amazed by how many flash animations on the net are bloated.

Once you install Swift Optimizer V2.0, go and optimize the flash movies that are stored in your Internet Explorer cache. You'll soon understand exactly what I mean

what do you mean by bloated?...

and yes, I have heard about a program that can compress a flash file even more, but now I have seen one for myself

bloated... as in over-size. Something like what happens when you drink too much Coca Cola and your stomach bulges out so much that you can't fit into your pants

hehe ok,,, nice vivid explanation aswell

Thread Information