dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Technologies. OS X

G33k wars, n.
    A thread in which an amazingly repetitive and irrelevant argumenet noone cares about takes place; in which "I dont feel that the prices are steep anyway." are fighting words.

i agree with RefreshF5 about the whole top notch hardware. I don't think Peo deserved the grilling but hey. I like the whole look of Macs, i like the feel. i like the perfectoin. i like the fact their expensive because it makes me feel proud to be one of the lucky users. I like to explore knew stuff. and as far as im concerned Windows has run out of cupboards to dig with. I've explored everything from Start Menu applications to Network settings and Print servers.

Apple is a new opportunity and ive hit it head on. I love my new iBook i am loving apple at the minute. I'm sure if a Linux machine landed in front of me now i would switch over to that equally eager.

I don't think that Apple really are doing anything bad by specifically designing their software and hardware to only grow fully in their environment but so what?? Windows do exactly the same ahem ahem Internet Exlporer and Frontpage.

And in the wise words of Mr. Ryan Sims; I would pack up, turn my back on the computer industry as a whole and move my wife to a small island off the coast of Sri Lanka named Titembay if i couldn't use another Apple.

Best Wishes,
    David

Originally posted by davidbrent
    Ryan Sims
    ...who?

Ryan Sims, I he's a graphic artist/web designer. One of those big CSS buffs. Has a small web design firm, real quality stuff. XHTML/CSS stuff, great looking. Think Jon Hicks, Dave Shea, Zeldman type person.

IMO, Macs are alright. Never used one extensively. They are a lot better visually, tend to be smaller and very nice looking. I don't use Macs because of the price and the fact that there are far more programs for Windows than for Mac. Considering I hardly ever buy a program since I much prefer freeware (The Gimp instead of Photoshop, HTML-Kit over Dreamweaver, ect) and you can't be too picky with it. I guess I'm just more comfortable with Windows. I get what I need done, and I'm not that much of a multimedia type person anywho.
    Last edited by MstrBob; 09-04-2004 at 08:09 PM.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Ryan Sims, I he's a graphic artist/web designer. One of those big CSS buffs. Has a small web design firm, real quality stuff. XHTML/CSS stuff, great looking. Think Jon Hicks, Dave Shea, Zeldman type person.
    Shea's designs suck. Don't include him in those lists, lol. Do you know his site?

Originally posted by Ben R.
    Shea's designs suck. Don't include him in those lists, lol.
    i think he is misjudged. sure his 2 latest redesigns haven't been all that great but maybe a lot of people expect too much off him. which is unfair to anyone in such a large community.

Do you know his site?
    if you are serious about designing with standards then i think you should know his site pretty well.

oh and ryan sims. catch him at www.Justwatchthesky.com or his business site www.neubix.com - take a peak its top of the range stuff!!!

What do you mean 'serious about designing with standards'? Shea's site never helped me with that, and I'm doing okay without hearing of Sims, lol. I've actually just found positioniseverything.com - all I can say is 'wow.'

BTW- Mezzoblues latest is very similair to Just Watch The Sky's design...

BTW- Mezzoblues latest is very similair to Just Watch The Sky's design...
    it has been said! and about serious web designing with standards i think we can only learn and advance in a subject if we have someone to look upto and to appreciate someone elses work. shea and bowman and inman and zeldman and all the other a-classes are our Albert Einsteins. not only do their hints, tutorials and general explanations teach us a great deal, they give us someone to look upto.

Best Wishes,
    David

I don't much like Zeldman's design... he needs a higher level of contrast. Also, he doesn't talk much on design; actually, noone really does. They ramble about their own lives. So... I don't much read blogs anymore, just the 'Peer' blogs, along with Stop and 1976design...

to be honest. i dont bother really reading Shea's blogging on what he's upto. only his relevent technical articles which are extremely useful. i read all of Bowman's entries and most of Ryan Sim's at Justwatchthesky. I read Mr. Brills and 1976. Also 456 Beretta St. Anyway back on subject. Does anybody have experience in bother OSX and previous versions and/or how would they rate them both?

Best Wishes,
    David

I only have experience (little bit because I dont really have time to play with stuff when it isnt mine ) in OS X.

As for blogs, i really only read RyanBrill, then all the others here like omega's, Jona's, Mine, Mr.Bob's, Mine again, Mine, Mine oh yeah and Mine..

You have a blog? o.O Why don't you rent out some of your signature space to yourself?

I'm not that big on blogs. I got to some people like Zeldman and Greg Storey and some others, but that's it. I do read Ryan Brills, Dan's, Conor's (when it's up), Omega (if it's ever up), Jona's, and others. But not very often. Like everyonce in a while I'll check out all the sites, but I'm not a blog fanatic. As a matter of fact, I HATE the word blog. Tis such an ugly and plain word. Web Journal sounds much nicer. But blog is so... 'blech'

Originally posted by Neczy
    omega's
    Omega (if it's ever up)
    *is touched* BTW, is my old name ever going to die?
    You have a blog?
    His is under construction...

BTW, is my old name ever going to die?
    Nope

Originally posted by akadis
    Nope
    Goddammit! People! Let the name die! Pull the plug already! Sheesh.

Thread Information