www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forcing a 'Favourites' link.

Forcing a 'Favourites' link.

Hiya guys,

Is there any way of 'forcing' the domain that is saved to the favourites link when someone right clicks on the mouse, and then goes to 'add to favourites' to add my site to their links?

The reason i'm asking is that my website is shared with another website called DJ Source, and if someone adds my site to their favourites at the moment, they'l get the following link added: www.radio.djsource.co.uk.

I've since bought a domain name which forwards to that address, so when they add my site to their favourites, i want the link www.djsourceradio.co.uk to be added instead.

Can anyone help? Is this possible?

Cheers guys

I would think that people who wanted to bookmark your site would already know how. (Note: I said bookmark, not "add to favorites"; browsers, unlike proprietary code and scripting translators, call them bookmarks). What does your code look like, though?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

hmmmm I should have explained things a bit better.

The reason why I need a 'forced bookmark' is because I have a script that detects the day, and then loads an appropriate page depending on the day - so for example, the script will open www.blah/monday.htm on monday, tuesday.htm on a tuesday, etc.

If someone bookmarks monday.htm then that will be the page that open regardless of what day it is. Which means that the incorrect schedule page of the radio station will be shown.

Well, if you have a PHP supported server you can solve this problem simply by generating the content dynamically buy using www.bal.com/index.php?day=Monday.

RyanJ
    Cheers,

Ryan Jones.

So how does that work mate? Sorry, i'm very much a beginner when it comes to scripting, etc

Well first, you can't force bookmarks to be added -- the JavaScript code commonly used for this doesn't even work in anything other than Internet Explorer. So perhaps you could explain this, somehow, to the users, or automatically have every page redirect to a page with the current day on it (probably your best choice).
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Thread Information