www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Imac or powerbook?

Hybrid View

Imac or powerbook?

I'm having a really tough time making a decision here, so I figured I'd throw it out to all you guys... I'm heading off to college in a few weeks, so I sold my car (didn't want to pay the $180 parking fee for the year). So right now, I've got $1500 chillin in my bank account... As of right nowI've got a Desktop PC (custom,2.
    6Ghz), and an Inspiron 5100 (I linked the 5150 cuz i couldn't find the 5100 on their site anymore). Through my college, I can get the 1.8Ghz 17" iMac g5 for $1400 ($1482 with bluetooth kb&m), which is $100 off, or, I can save up a little longer and get the $2500 15" Powerbook for $1,938.95. Which would you choose? (I don't mind not having a mac when I first get to college)

Personally I would get 15" Powerbook. I have one myself and got it with the same educational discount you would get(my mom works at a school and can get the educational discount) and I'd say its a better machine to have it college. Not only is it powerful but it offers a lot in the portability field too. It may in the end though come down to what matters to you. Do you want more power or more portability, I would think at school portability might be a bigger issue and the Powerbook offers more then enough power for things such as photoshop and anything you really need to do on your computer. The only upside to the G5 I would say is video editing and the iMac comes with a piss poor video card so Im not sure it would be to much better there so yeah all in all I would say in your situation the 15" powerbook is a better buy, and if you wanted to have it sooner rather then later the 12" powerbook isnt half bad either.
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

depends. I am looking to buy a g5 imac myself, though I dont totally like the design of it. I REALLY want a powerbook 15 also though...I would do whichever you like best, lol.

I guess neither is really more important to me, I've got power from the desktop, and portability from the dell.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Thread Information