www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fantasy computer

Originally posted by lavalamp
    Intel Xeon, Xenon is a gas.

I doubt that windows would restrict it's sales by requiring dual procs.
    they will not restrict it, but its reccomended. But did you see the reccomendations for xp when it came out? Wasn't it a processor at 4ghz or something/ The reccomendations are always unreal. But by the time longhorn comes out amd will have its dual core opterons on the market and intel will have its dual cored next gen x86-64 out to compete with the amd dual cored x86 opteron and athalon lines. I think intel will pull an amd and sell them cheaper since they sort of got beat to it by amd and will be releasing something like 5 months later.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    I would take xeon over opteron any day. You can't really use the 64bit features yet
    Xeon's are 64bit now???

I have more to say but right now I have people to be and places to see.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i had a laptop under my bed with a massive 8mb memory and an old eraser-head mouse (minus the eraser), EXTERNAL floppy drive, and about an 8 inch screen. that thing is a beast. definitely get some chixxors with that.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

sounds like my old schools computers back in the day...
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Xeon's are 64bit now???

I have more to say but right now I have people to be and places to see.
    almost, but not quite. Intel was going to release one in like july but they killed jayhawk, their x86-64 architecture core, along with tejas which was going to be an x86-64 pentium processor. They are probably going to apply a lot of its feautres for their dual cored next gen processor which should be released at about this time next year. They pulled it because they needed to focus on this dual core thing asap because of amd doing it. Last I heard amd will release their dual cored proc in the next few months. But right now their is no real use for 64 on personal pcs so it didnt hurt intel that bad to let amd keep up their 64bit market share. If people want 64bit on a work station they still may come to intel for the itanium two, but from what I hear the itanium two is a pain in the butt to work with. HP has all kinds of problems designing their work stations for it. It is not x86 its EPIC, which is said by some to be x86 missing its best features.
    here is be some articles: http://www.computerworld.com/hardwar...,95747,00.html
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15768
    intel hinting about dual cores, upgrades to its new nocona (which I find sexy... prescott is sexy and so is nocona.), good stuff. Its a real drama following the processor market. Personally, I think now is the time to invest in intel. They got a big boost today, but they are still trading low at this point.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 09-13-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Erm, weren't you the one that told me Prescott's were nothing to get excited by? I guess that would explain why I'm less than enthused.

From where I'm sitting Intel is looking more and more like a sinking ship. They're behind AMD with the 64bit and it looks as though they're behind them with the dual cores as well.

How I would dearly love a dual core processor, however I don't have the money to 'fford it and I don't have the time to wait for it.

Anyway, while I'm here, I might aswell show you some low res, poor quality snaps of my PC.
    It looks so cool (not that the pictures do it justice). There are a load of little lights inside called "Power Eyes", they're little circuit boards with 4 tiny LED's on that slide inside a male power connector and light up (so, so cool, but a bad description).

i like the bio/rad/what the hell it is, hazard light sign...
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Erm, weren't you the one that told me Prescott's were nothing to get excited by? I guess that would explain why I'm less than enthused.
    when they first came out they ran real hot, and they did not have ht, they now run cool and have ht, so I like them now
    From where I'm sitting Intel is looking more and more like a sinking ship. They're behind AMD with the 64bit and it looks as though they're behind them with the dual cores as well.
    but being behind them on 64 is not a big deal. Its not really utilized that much yet. Anyways intel has had 64bit for a long time now, it is just not x86. I mean hp and others had a real crap of a time designing systems around the itanium 2 EPIC architecture.

How I would dearly love a dual core processor, however I don't have the money to 'fford it and I don't have the time to wait for it.
    well amd is going to definatly charge an arm and a leg for it, but I think intel will actually sell it for cheaper then amd, a flip.

Here are some old pics of my pc
    http://quasi-ke.servebeer.com/filmstrip.asp
    I have a different motherboard now and 3 hard drives. I also took that pic with flash on so you can't see my cathodes real well. Enjoy!

Originally posted by davidbrent
    i like the bio/rad/what the hell it is, hazard light sign...
    It's two stuck together and there's a power eye behind it.

I can't believe that you of all people Nick, would have a GeForce FX 5200. All the rest of your hardware is cutting edge!

It's two stuck together and there's a power eye behind it.

I can't believe that you of all people Nick, would have a GeForce FX 5200. All the rest of your hardware is cutting edge!
    I dont. That is not even an fx card you see in there. I have a ti4200. ti4200 > fx5200. It renders more smoothly and handles dx9 better. Ti is supposedly the lesser line then the fx line, but the ti cards have better dx9 support. I do not have the cash or desire to spend 200+ on a video card right now because my ti can play every game I play just fine. Until I get a new ride I shouldn't spend my cash. My work availability is in the gutter because I totaled my truck two weeks ago. I could have a new car within the next few day... I hope.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 09-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.

i have a fx5200.. i dont lag

Originally posted by lakers01
    i have a fx5200.. i dont lag
    I have seen 5200s die in some games. Such as halo (which I have no problem with).

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Such as halo (which I have no problem with).
    Yeah, i have a problem with Halo as well, I don't like how it sucks real bad.

i thought I saw a 5200 on the box in the background, musta bin a 4200 I guess.

the FX 5200 is the bottom of the FX line, so I'm not very surprised that the 4200Ti is better than it, it's a Ti after all.

Anyway, I want to know more about this totalling a brand new truck, please tell.

I don't know about all that high end technical schtuff. I just want a PSU with long enough wires so that my HDD's arent hanging out.

Yeah, i have a problem with Halo as well, I don't like how it sucks real bad.

i thought I saw a 5200 on the box in the background, musta bin a 4200 I guess.

the FX 5200 is the bottom of the FX line, so I'm not very surprised that the 4200Ti is better than it, it's a Ti after all.

Anyway, I want to know more about this totalling a brand new truck, please tell.
    ohhh that 5200 in the background was for my brothers machine. I made him an economy system, low balled the parts because I was paying for some of it as a christmas gift, my dad payed for other parts. There should be a ti box somewhere in thr background too. I have a whole stack of boxes in that courner now.

It wasnt a brand new truck, it was my old truck. Its a 1987 chevy chianne. It was worth about 1500 on trade. One rainy day (2 minutes into the storm) I accelerated from a red light making a left turn and then at the far end of the turn I hit some really slick oily pavement and my back wheels slid out then I turned back then they slid back somewhat in the other direction and i was pointing off the road and I hit the curb and it put me in the air and I sort of bounced into a tree. Now we sold the truck to the guy who lives next door to me for 750 bucks. So once my dad gets me a new car I am going to have to slowly pay him 750 bucks because thats what I cost him on trade. He was looking for a new car and a truck anyway, I just cost him his trade. Which really blows. WMH closed today so I do not have a web host anymore and do not feel like shelling out 100 bucks for a years worth of hosting and do not have time to revamp the site (because I would have to screw with it anyway, like db connections and all, for the new host), so I am basically giving up on it and my sc clan may need to find a new webmaster. I have no free time, and no car, so right now I really have no time for anything and no spare cash. It kinda sucks.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 09-15-2004 at 03:14 PM.

Thread Information