www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first web developer job

first web developer job

Hello...
    I am just wondering how do you guys get your first web developer job. I graduated last year and has been a FoxPro programmer for 15 months. I want to change my career path towards web developing, but donít know what I should do. I am getting my Web Developer Certification which ends in October 2004. I thought it will be easier for me to get a web developerís job if I am certified. However, I have been searching for web developing opportunities in Washington D.C area and couldnít really find any entry-level opportunities. Please helpÖ.I am really interested in this field.
    Thanks...

The way i see it in my area is that you may not get a job straight away but why not try some freelancing in the mean time till you find a job. You could always advertise yourself around your area or do some charity web site work to get your name out.

Hope that helps mate.

For starters, you could start off by studying scripting languages, such as, PHP, ASP.NET, or ColdFusion.

Oh yeah, and make sure you learn 'web standards and semantics' and also 'accessibility'.

Regards,
    Jaime

"Everything in a web browser."

Originally posted by sharkey
    The way i see it in my area is that you may not get a job straight away but why not try some freelancing in the mean time till you find a job. You could always advertise yourself around your area or do some charity web site work to get your name out.

Hope that helps mate.
    I aggree, its very easy to start your own company and do freelance work and subcontracting. Its an extrmely industry to get into. You can also make lots of contacts this way and build some respect from other local companies which could help you in the long run. I am a student so I am obviously not doing this for a living, but I looked into it extensively and did do a bit of freelanceing a few months ago. I got another job and kind of put freelancing aside though.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Its an extrmely industry to get into.

woops... left out a whole word that time. My mind outran my fingers... they had to buffer to catchup I guess. The missing word is easy

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I had a look at www.rentacoder.com just now actually. They all want stuff like toolbars and stuff making though for (usually) about $100. Which in UK £ is pretty pathetic really.

Originally posted by Mr Herer
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I had a look at www.rentacoder.com just now actually. They all want stuff like toolbars and stuff making though for (usually) about $100. Which in UK £ is pretty pathetic really.
    You go around to small buisinesses locally and advertise services to them. Go to web design firms and ask if they need any subcontracting done for certain types of scripts, try to make a cms or something for a company without a site. Etc. That is what I was trying to do.

Yeah I'm in the middle of doing a cms now. I had a pretty good idea for making a news site a little different and adding some rather groovy features that the vast majority of generic cms's just don't have. Had to scrap the news idea though thanks to a considerable glitch in gecko.

Not sure it would have worked as intended anyway. I still hadn't checked if you can use the DOM to change the URL shown in the address bar.

I barely used the net at all until a little over a year ago. But when I started going around the net I noticed how just about every forum is the same and LOADS of sites are the same too. Most either being the NUKE cms or something that looks almost identical. So I'm doing my best to come up with something a little different, and is standards compliant and accessible (unlike almost every cms I've seen).

On an entirely unrelated note, by "ilovetako" do you mean Rony Tako?

Originally posted by Sam
    On an entirely unrelated note, by "ilovetako" do you mean Rony Tako?
    Hey I have had fun with hurricanes too! (first topic in the blog). I just got power back after 5 days without it.

Originally posted by Mr Herer
    NUKE cms
    what is cms? thx

CMS means Content Management System. Most simple way to describe it I suppose would be a self building website. One where the admin can just type news etc into a text box, then it magically gets coded up and added to the front page as a clickable story. Same might happen for a links or downloads page. You could just type in the address of the page or file and the text to represent its link and it will update and embed it into a given section of the page without disturbing anything. That way the admin can easily manage an entire site very quickly and easily and need to know little or nothing about even the most basic of things like how to make a link in (x)html.

Bah, I see no purpose in just downloading someone's CMS. I say, code one yourself. Give yourself a good few months to learn a scripting language and just code like a mofo and you'll be a master at it.

My blog is CMS, but it's written by me. Of course, it's only 1/3 done

"Everything in a web browser."

Originally posted by BuezaWebDev
    Bah, I see no purpose in just downloading someone's CMS.
    lol

I can't imagine any of us that can make one our selves would see the point. But to anyone that doesn't know, they're magical spangly things for which they may pay money.

Thread Information