www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Guide For Some Basic Java Problems.

Thanks for this. My hard drive recently crashed, and I'm getting ready to reload everything on it. My problem was that I had obtained the laptop from a technical school after learning java programming, so it was already set up for me. I go to java.sun.com, and sometimes the instructions seem too daunting. It's nice to have something like this from someone who's just done it.

Thanks again.
    Share on Google+

Question I need help on my JAVA PROJECT !!! PLEASE!!!!

Hi ! I'm new here ! Well, I have a JAVA project for next week. I have to make a Hangman game and there is an aspect called ORIGINALITY, in that part I would like to make an applet in which the hangman is drawn but I would like the hang man to be an image, not a simple circle with lines. How can I do that ????
    Share on Google+

Hi all.

In a nutshell, I haven't installed Java on my Windows PC and searching for a full-installation download from-over the web.

I am new to Java (although I have skimmed my Java book many times over the years and I haven't ever compiled a single "java" file before [I was planning on programming Java years ago and bought a book yet never really got around to it.] ) and I am looking to install Java for the first time on my computer so I can compile "java" files into "class" files. I could care less for graphical interfaces, all I am looking for is the simplest compiler available to install on my PC.

My old Java 1.2 book that I bought years ago tells me to download a program called the
    Java Development Kit. It then links me to http://java.sun.com/products/JDK/1.2/
    where I am expected to find some sort of installation download.
    As I go there, I notice the URL of the page changes in the address bar to:
    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se-eol.html
    Which I believe is telling me that Java1.2 has reached it's "End of Life".

So where do I go to install the "new" Java Development Kit?

Why is it so hard to install such a simple thing which I only intend to use for compiling and nothing else!?
    Last edited by Ultimater; 03-21-2006 at 01:36 PM.
    Share on Google+

you should have posted a new thread in the forums instead of using the sticky..:-)
    anyways..download the latest Java SDK from java site, its called J2SE5..here is the link.
    By the way on the right side of the page there still is jdk 1.4 available in case u wante that...anyhow if you are starting afresh then 5 is the way to go (which is essentially jdk 1.5)
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources
    Share on Google+

Thanks Khalid Ali, the link helped-out a lot as-well-as did the information jdk 1.5 by itself! I had to fiddle with the downloads for a while and after downloading three files bindedly I finally, on the third try, located the file I had to download. It seems all I had to do was download
    JDK 5.0 Update 6 from the page http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
    (which I got to from your link and clicking the link labeled "Downloads" on the very top-right corner of the page -- which took me about an hour to locate on the page)
    After installation I finally located the javac.exe file in the location C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\javac.exe
    I then was able to compile my first "java" file into a "class" file and it executed beautifully as expected when I tested it.

Khalid Ali, sorry for not making a different thread, I thought it would fit-into the sticky because we are already dealing with installation. Someone should really make a sticky that sums-up how to install Java step-by-step and walks you through, it's a pain in the you-know-what.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 03-21-2006 at 04:13 PM.
    Share on Google+

lol.. I guess u did not read the thread from the start.It actually walks u through the complete installation process....anyways..weclome to Java
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Share on Google+

Can somebody help me in graphics and applets ??? I know how to make simple circles and lines on an applet, but I would like to do something like this hangman game : (to put the face and the body from a picture, not a simple circle and lines)

http://www.kidscom.com/games/hangman/hangman.html
    Share on Google+

Hello again,

I will also need to reinstall Tomcat onto my new hard drive. Again, what I find on http://tomcat.apache.org/index.html confuses me. When I click on the link to download Tomcat 5.x, do I need to save all of the files listed: Core, Deployer, Embedded, Administration Web Application, JDK 1.4 Compatability Package?
    Share on Google+

First of all guys, please read. This thread is not to post ur questions, rather help to understand some basic problems. Now onto the question jagy_franco asked, you will need 1 of the 2 files

Core:

* zip (pgp, md5)
    * tar.gz (pgp, md5)
    * Windows Executable (pgp, md5)

Where zip and windows executeable are for windows machines.
    The difference between zip version and windows executeable is that
    1. you will need to unzip the zip file using some zip/unzip tool(WinRar?)
    2. Windows executable is easier in the sense that you just click on it to install and it will take care of every task for you(if I remember coorrectly, it only asks you for admin password, that u can set at install time)
    3. JDK 1.4 Compatability Package is needed only if you are running jdk 1.4.x on your system. if you have any of the jdk1.5 versions then you do not need that.

Hope this helps
    Cheers

Khalid

Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Ali
    First of all guys, please read. This thread is not to post ur questions, rather help to understand some basic problems.
    Hi again Khalid ,

Where shall I post questions then? I downloaded what I thought was the SDK, but I don't have a C:\j2sdk.... folder. I have C:\Sun\AppServer. I'll give more details in the proper thread if you let me know where that is (or shall I start a new one?)

Thanks for your help,

jaqy_franco.
    Share on Google+

just start a new thread please....
    Cheers

Khalid

Share on Google+

Angry

i think im in the right thread ok im using a notepad++ as the editor and compiling through command line so when i try to compile helloworld

javac helloworld.java no errors

java helloworld.class

exception in thread "main" mess

i can compile but i cant run applications
    Retro
    Share on Google+

this is wrong thread, please post it in a new thread. and post complete text of the exception(in the new thread that is)
    Cheers

Khalid

Share on Google+

Hello Khalid Ali,
    I have installed java(jdk1.6.0) into C:\ProgramFiles\Java and set the environment vrbles as
    JAVA_HOME C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0
    PATH C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin;C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0\lib;

at the dos promt when i type javac it says 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command.....

what's the problem,where did i go wrong
    please help me........
    thanks in advance
    Share on Google+

Hey Khalid Ali
    I found it,it was a typo mistake
    THANK YOU
    I followed the steps given by you,thanks for starting this thread any way.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information