dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets move some forums

Hybrid View

lets move some forums

hows about java, dhtml, and .net move down into scripting? They seem out of place right now.

Java is more development related than scripting, isn't it? It's more like a "real" language, as opposed to a "Web" language. Although it's very involved in both areas. Also, I think DHTML and JavaScript should be merged into one DHTML/JavaScript forum, as it's really the same thing. But that's just me...
    Last edited by Jona; 09-14-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Originally posted by Khalid Ali
    Originally posted by sharkey
    One thing though again im questioning the postioning of this forum shouldnt it be along side with php etc
    Certainly not...since Java is not a scripting language at all....it definitly does not belong to the other forum titles in the development cat,however that is the only appropriate title for Java to be in...as a matter of fact java should have its own category "Kick a** programming languages category"

If you plan to mess with the list, how about something like this..

Web Development
    --HTML
    --CSS
    --Graphics
    --Accessibility
    --XML
    --Website Reviews
    Scripting
    --JavaScript
    --DHTML
    General
    Business Matters
    The Coffee Lounge
    Server-Side
    --.NET
    --ASP
    --Perl
    --PHP
    --Java (This one's tricky. Here, I think)
    --Other
    E-Commerce
    --Affiliate Programs
    --Domain Names
    --Search Engines

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    why wouldn't business go in e-commerce?

Originally posted by Jona
    Also, I think DHTML and JavaScript should be merged into one DHTML/JavaScript forum, as it's really the same thing. But that's just me...
    I've thought the same thing since I signed up actually. And wouldn't "DOM" be preferable to "DHTML"? Or are we going to get caught up with the XML DOM side of things in that lot? If DHTML is to stay as DHTML should it not at least be changed to D(X)HTML ?
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Originally posted by Mr Herer
    I've thought the same thing since I signed up actually. And wouldn't "DOM" be preferable to "DHTML"? Or are we going to get caught up with the XML DOM side of things in that lot? If DHTML is to stay as DHTML should it not at least be changed to D(X)HTML ?
    DHTML is virtually the incorporation of JavaScripts into a web page to cause the HTML elements located therein to be styled differently at an interval or event related basis; it does things such as "flying" objects, hidden/displayed objects, etc. JavaScript itself is commonly associated with more of the chrome, browser, and other built-in objects whereas DHTML revolves around stylesheets. It shouldn't be D(X)HTML, there's no need to specify whether or not you're using HTML or XHTML unless the script calls for it (e.g., capitalization of event handlers), and that would be relevant to a particular post only. Most of the time HTML is only used, and it can easily be modified - if necessary - to suit XHTML's ECMAScript specification. DOM would get confused with XML. XML, though not a standard Web page building markup language, is a markup language. A "DOM" forum would end up with all kinds of mixed questions, including ones from server-side languages ("Need PHP help with DOM functions").

Ive thought this for some time also i agree with everything above plus buisness matters should probably go in e-commerce.

Yea lets keep server side and client side programming separate.

Okay, so I sign on today, and I'm like: Whoah, everything's different. And not for the better. .net, Java still aren't under scripting. ASP, however, appears to have moved? Or did it, I can't remember now x.x But why is E-Commerce above Scripting? And those two empty categories, Networking and Storage? And now the Coffee Lounge and Feedback are under Security? Whoah, let's seriously rethink this...

Wouldn't it be so much cooler to have the user decide what order the forums should go in? Then store them in his/her profile?

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Originally posted by PikoTech
    Wouldn't it be so much cooler to have the user decide what order the forums should go in? Then store them in his/her profile?
    cool, yes. practical, i doubt.

The "development" section also mentions that it's for JavaScript, but the JavaScript forum is in the "scripting" section...

I'm not sure who was messing with the forum order, but it's been since fixed, and the off-site forums have been moved to the bottom. Should be good to go now.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Thanks, Scott, looks good now.

Thread Information