www.webdeveloper.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Reviews & Requests

whats that theme?
    Share on Google+

It's called Noia 2.0 (eXtreme).
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

its great! and btw has anyone here a fully mac-styled pc?
    Share on Google+

That’s kind of lame, don’t you think? It’s one thing to try to make your PC function like a Mac, but if you just want it to look like a Mac, shouldn’t you just go out and buy a Mac? You can get a Mini for $500.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.
    Share on Google+

Hey Jona, sorry to have to repeat my question, but I still didn't get a straight answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona

- Do not use tables. The purpose of tables is for tabular data - what you see in Excel spreadsheets. Columns and rows. Using tables for layout makes absolutely no sense. For you it may be different, but chances are if you want to design with tables, you don't suffer from any form of disability. There are many blind, dyslexic, and other handicapped users who browse the Internet.
    I don't understand what's wrong with the TABLE tag. What's wrong with this code?
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    caption{font-weight:bold; color: royalblue; }
    .daLabel{padding:none; margin: none; width: 65px;}
    </style>
    <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0>
    <caption>Log In:</caption>
    <tr><th class="daLabel">User</th><th><input type="text" name="userName" size="8"></th></tr>
    <tr><th class="daLabel">Password</th><th><input type="password" name="userPassword" size="8"></th></tr>
    <tr><th></th><th><input type="submit" value="Login"></th></tr>
    </table>
    Share on Google+

Ultimater,

Besides the fact that the tables consume extra bandwidth (and take longer for dial-up users to download), the semantic value of tables is one of rows and columns. It’s not wrong to use tables — they should be used to create rows and columns of data. It is wrong to use tables for layout, though. When you use table tags to make a web layout, it might look fine in most browsers, but what you fail to realize is that people who suffer disabilities surf the Web, too. Take blind people, for example, who browse the Web by using user agents (browsers) known as “screen-readers.” These screen-readers take the HTML content on a web page and read it to the user. When you use tables, it tries to read the web layout to the disabled person trying to get the content of the web page. This makes understanding things very difficult — it’s kind of like trying to read a mystery story out of order (e.g. reading random chapters until you’ve read them all). It’s no doubt frustrating for these poor individuals. What is ironic is that people still insist on using tables when it is not only more beneficial for them to use CSS for their layouts, but it is also more convenient and helpful to the individuals who visit their sites, including the disabled visitors. Does this answer your question?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.
    Share on Google+

About the disabled individuals, yes, this answers my question.

However, I don't know of any alternitives to generate an output similar to that produced by the TABLE using CSS. Any ideas?
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimater
    However, I don't know of any alternitives to generate an output similar to that produced by the TABLE using CSS. Any ideas?
    That'd be a fairly trivial matter, something like the attached file would do it, only took me about 5 mins.

Edit: Corrected markup slightly, <ul> --> </ul>
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David Harrison; 06-02-2005 at 05:27 PM.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    That'd be a fairly trivial matter, something like the attached file would do it, only took me about 5 mins.
    Almost..!

Can you get the label "Username" on the same line as the input box along with the "Passname" label while keeping the two input boxes lined-up with each other?
    Share on Google+

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, got a diagram? A picture speaks a thousand words.
    Share on Google+

You're 1st and 2nd attatchments look exactly the same from the outside.

Here's a screenshot of your log-in section along with mine created via the TABLE tag:
    http://www.aplustv.com/pics/screenshot_login.bmp
    (at least how your 1st attachment appeared in IE6.0)
    Notice how my labels are on the same line because they were generated by the TABLE tag.

Is there a way to get yours (the labels) on the same line to look more like the TABLE tag output of mine w/o losing the textbox lined-up arrangement that both script are currently displaying as of now?
    Share on Google+

Ah, it seems that when the text size is set to smaller or smallest in IE, the label and input's don't quite fit side by side in that space because of the width I applied to the <label>'s, although it shouldn't even matter what the text size is since I used em for the units. It's not really neccessary in my example to set a width on the <labels> because I didn't centre the text, however, the problem can be fixed simply by adding another 2em onto the width of the <fieldset>.

As I said in my edit, the reason I uploaded a second file was because I needed to swop a </li> and an <li> because I'd gotten them the wrong way around. I knocked it out pretty quickly and didn't bother to validate, if it was for use on an actual web-site that I intended to put online then I would have done.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    Ah, it seems that when the text size is set to smaller or smallest in IE, the label and input's don't quite fit side by side in that space because of the width I applied to the <label>'s, although it shouldn't even matter what the text size is since I used em for the units. It's not really neccessary in my example to set a width on the <labels> because I didn't centre the text, however, the problem can be fixed simply by adding another 2em onto the width of the <fieldset>.

As I said in my edit, the reason I uploaded a second file was because I needed to swop a </li> and an <li> because I'd gotten them the wrong way around. I knocked it out pretty quickly and didn't bother to validate, if it was for use on an actual web-site that I intended to put online then I would have done.
    INGENIOUS!!! Brilliant format to replace my current TABLE layout, thanks again!

Regards,
    Ultimater
    Share on Google+

Jona ( or someone else is ok, too ! ), what do you think of using a table to align form fields ? I'm not so much for it, but until now, I always did so ( and I still do ) because I couldn't find a simpler solution with css.
    I'm not sure it will be a problem for disabled people, but still, I'd like to know your feelings about that.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Jona
    That’s kind of lame, don’t you think? It’s one thing to try to make your PC function like a Mac, but if you just want it to look like a Mac, shouldn’t you just go out and buy a Mac? You can get a Mini for $500.

hehe, i cant spend 500 bucks for this purpose right now!
    Share on Google+

Thread Information