dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie board

Hybrid View

Newbie board

Would it be possible to have a newbie board? That way any simply answered questions could be put there and the more experienced couuld look in now and then to answer them. It would free up the main boards for more serious questions. I say this as a newbieish person myself.

I think the HTML and JS forums are the "NOOB" Zone

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i think to create something like this might present a sense of inferiority for our new members and turn them off from the site.

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    i think to create something like this might present a sense of inferiority for our new members and turn them off from the site.
    Word.

Originally posted by lakers01
    I think the HTML and JS forums are the "NOOB" Zone
    And your reason for this would be?

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    It is quite obvious that the majority of questions in these forums (HTML and JS) are by users without much of a sense of the language. Numerous explanations for the majority of those threads are not enough to explain, because language knowledge isn't great.

In those forums, very few experts (like Charles ), rarely ask qustions in these forums, so I would tend to agree with lakers01 here.

So, to you advanced web builders: Do n00b questions annoy and infuriate you? They all seem to get answered and I've never seen anyone get flames.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here that the answer will be no, as I have a plethora of stupid questions all lined up

Originally posted by bol
    So, to you advanced web builders: Do n00b questions annoy and infuriate you? They all seem to get answered and I've never seen anyone get flames.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here that the answer will be no, as I have a plethora of stupid questions all lined up
    OF COURSE THEY DO! :P j/p

of course not, there is no way for them to know if they haven't been told or read it somewhere. These boards are there to ask questions and if someone didn't want to answer questions they would not read them in the first place. Also, i know for like the CSS part, answering a question makes me have to think at times which helps me learn it even better. This isn't the case any more w/ the html, but the same idea applies to some other ppl

I had a diffrent question to ask, but after reading this thread i think that this is a better question. Let me say that im a NOOB. To my knowledge ( as limited as it may be ) a NOOb is somone that is new or unskilled at something. In the area web building, hell in web knowledge in general thats me in a nutshell. I would welcome a Newbie page to post all the questions that i have that a advanced or Pro user would call dumb. One of the main problems that im having as a new user here is that there a is a wealth of great info here... Sometimes to much and i really dont know how and what to filter out. I mean if the name noob or newbie turns people off then cant it be called something else?

Why would anyone need a special forum for, let's say, basic php questions, e.g.: 'what is a variable', or some more complex problems, e.g., 'read XML with PHP',

both belong to the PHP forum, and will be answered there.
    And it's the same for every other language or technology covered on the boards.

There would be a special forum because the person is new to building and might not know what language they should even be posting in. Lets say if I say this site and I wanted to learn how to build, but knew nothing about it. What forum would i post in to learn about what lanuages there are and what i should do to get started. Whats a good newbie book for me? These are all common questions that the average NOOB would know what forum they should be posting in. It would at least to me make the site a little more user friendly.

in the General forum

If it's posted in the wrong forum a moderator will move it.

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    Wouldn't this be pointless? If we seperated the n00bs from the experts there would either be a clash for the people in between, the experts if they were intrested in say learning how to program in asp might be turned off, and also how would some one be able to determine which forum they are to post in?

As this was posted while I was still a n00b (more so than now) I can see why it's not feasible to have a seperate board.

Thread Information