Just a few questions for experts in web devlopement
I'm starting to develop an idea I have for a website, I understood I have a need for a platform to work with the website and the application together and feed it the information they need to present the user.
The website needs to have basic functions, like homepage, news page, etc and some more complex like Categories navigation and search.
I wanted to ask:
1. What kind of company offers these kind of services? Platform building and web development (along with app development, if possible), what should I look for exactly? Please remove money issues from the equation.
2. How does the platform work? Could you explain to me how it's going to communicate with the website/app? My website idea center is around costumer experience, I'm not an expert in webs or anything.
You seem to have been mislead.
1. You can self-host your web site but few people do. So you do not need to worry about the technicalities of how a site is put on the web, because there are plenty of commercial web hosts who will do that for you. You just need to upload the files that make up the web pages. This is basically done in FTP, which is renowned for being user unfriendly, but most web hosts provide visual front-ends to make it as simple as copying files from one folder to another.
2. Web sites are basically self contained, and are written in three parts:
a) The structure and content are contained in HTML files.
b) The styling (what the web page looks like) is contained in CSS files.
Note: The content and appearance of such sites remains the same, unless changes are made to the HTML or CSS files. The CSS and JS can be embedded in the HTML files.
3. "Dynamic" web sites use HTML and CSS files, but some of the content is stored in a database, and hence can change without requiring changes to the HTML or CSS.
Note: The link between the web page and the database is done in two parts:
- User input can be captured by forms written in HTML.
- The communication between the web page and the database is done by scripts written in PHP.
I see. So just to make sure I totally got you, I need a database to hold the information I will provide to the user, I do need this information to be editable without the need to constantly change the website itself and add more data over time.
Originally Posted by jedaisoul
And lastly A programmer(s) and designer(s) to create the mobile application to interact with my database as well. I know you are no experts in apps development but I'll throw it out there in case you have another useful information.
So I have one more question please, how to I create/manage my own database, or can it be be contracted to be created by an external company as well? What Is a "database" for web information? is it just an interface hosted in a web-host that I (the information editor and provider) and the webpages can interact with?
Thank you very much.
Last edited by jedaisoul; 09-22-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Reason: quote abbreviated
It is often not necessary to have a separate "mobile" site. Web pages that are designed to be "responsive" can be displayed on a wide range of devices.
SQL databases are used for web sites (which are the same as are used for other purposes). SQL statements written in the PHP scripts are used to query and update the databases.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)