www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FTP error 550: the system cannot find the file specified

FTP error 550: the system cannot find the file specified

It appears to be a permissions error message on WinXP Pro machine that is running Apache 2.0, when I am trying to ftp:// the site. The exact message is:

Code:
       An error occured opening the folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have permissions to access this folder.
       Details:
       550 /foldername: The system cannot find the file specified.
    I checked all my NT permissions for this folder and made sure that there are no issues in that area, but I still get the same message, even if I try to ftp://localhost/foldername from the system itself. The other funny thing is if I FTP the //localhost itself it lets me in, but it doesn't display any files or folders. I can access all the files through http:// in all the folders in the web root, but FTP gives me errors. Is there any solution to this problem?

If your running this server on your computer and you want to ftp to your computer I think you will need to have a ftp server as well as a web server.
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

Doesn't Apache 2.0 act as both (web server and FTP server) ?

I honestly have no idea. Why are you trying to FTP to you own computer anyways? Can't you just copy the files into the folder?
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

Thank you! I got it working. I used the IIS ftp service instead. I appreciate you pointed this out, for I think Apache serves only HTTP.

having the same problem

etrater 11, could you please specify how you fix this problem with IIS.

Thread Information