dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First post, No idea what I am doing.

First post, No idea what I am doing.

I have been working on my website for about a month now using dreamwever. I have several questions as to how to do various things, most of which I should be able to figure out on my own (and will remember better that way anyway.) but there is one that has really been bothering me.

I want to put up a guestbook but have no idea how to do it. I don't want to do Telnet, and I know there is another way, I have seen someone on here do it with out. I understand the basic concept, but when I copy and paste the code it does not look right, I end up seeing some of the code on the site. Now I would imagine this is probably partially because I have not put the site on the internet yet. Lol, I must look like a real dope. But I just want to make sure that I am doing it right and that it will work when I put it up.

The guestbook code is here, http://www.ryanbrill.com/software/xm...guestbook.php. I assume I just copy and paste the code. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Now onto another issues related to this one. I would like to add another feild to the above guestbook called "My email address" I would make it so that unless they typed in My email address they would not get it. The site is mainly for my friends so I don't want people I don't know signing my guestbook.

I am pretty sure this is possible, and would appreciate it if someone would give me some tips on how to do this.

Oh! One more thing, when the whole site is done I will be putting it on comcast webspace. (I.E. home.comcast.net/***)

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    well first, that link doesn't work. http://www.ryanbrill.com/software/xm.../guestbook.php does. second, does your host support PHP? that's necessary.

Very good question, and I am not sure how to answer it. Do you know how I would find out? Lol

first off, what's your host?

Comcast.

well from what i can find, comcast doesn't support PHP. try www.t35.net

Hmm... well do I have to use PHP, or is there something else I could try? Like Java, or something... (You can tell I am new at this can't you?)

If you use Java for applets, then that means the user has to have the plugin for it. What if they don't? You are going to want to use a server side language and I'm not sure what Comcast offers, but I highly doubt it's much.

yeah, well questbooks are best left for php. there are lots of free guestbook sites available. try http://bravenet.com/

i would advise a change of hosts especially if you are hoping to get more involved into web developement and design, then you will sooner or later need a server side coding enabled hosting server..

agreed. it seems as though comcast is kinda crappy, just from looking around.

Well, what they allow you to use may be kind of crappy, but they also give you 175MB for your account! I think thats pretty sweet. Sides its just a personal website to put a few pictures, and some text. Kind of like a blog but more... I don't know, I just know a blog or a xanga would not work.

All I am really trying to do here is... well... not much... there is not much purpose to this site at all. I just put it up cause I can, and I have 175MB of space.

I would rather not change host if I have to. I thank you for your help. I kind of knew javascript was a bad idea, but it was just a thought. I'll check out some of those guestbook sites.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by geek65536
    Comcast.
    Comcast just provides a straight HTTP service with no added functionality. (x-Comcast user)

Completely off topic!

This is really quite off topic, but it is my thread, and actually when you think about it, the subject, or topic, is actually quite broad, though I am straying from what we were talking about in the posts above...

Anywho!

After what you have just explained to me, I realize that my chances of being able to put up password are severely limited.

With that in mind I have designed a system that should work without any need for PHP or other things.

Basically there would be one field, it would be called password. Now, let's say the password is "cow", when you click on submit, it would check the password field. If password field = "cow" then go to URL: home.comcast.net/Johndoe/cow. If Password field = empty then go to URL home.comcast.net/Johndoe/Nopassword. If Password field = incorrect then go to URL home.comcast.net/Johndoe/Incorrect.

The problem with this is that I have no idea how to do it. The design is still in my head, and I don't know how to code it, or even if it is possible. Any idea's?

ok it's not reccomended but try
    http://www.felgall.com/javatip4.htm
    or just google javascript password protection...

Thread Information