dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Avoiding _top

Avoiding _top

I know this sounds like a highly strange, almost heretical question, but is there any way to prevent a link in a frameset from linking with target="_top" (assuming the frame is in an external page, so I can't just remove the target :P)? I know that, generally speaking, if you go to an external page in a frameset you should go out with a _top, but this frameset is designed for a very select set of people (I count 4), who would all like to keep the frameset intact no matter what.

All users are using Netscape, so if there is no way of doing this through HTML, Java, or Javascript, there might be a way to do it through modifying Netscape's preferences, but while I've had some successes using this method (preventing access to capability.policy.default.Window.frames to prevent selective Javascript frame resetting), there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent this effectively.
    Last edited by Xiroth; 09-19-2004 at 06:38 AM.

So...probably not possible?

i dont get your question.

Basically, is it possible to prevent your frameset from being overwritten by a target="_top" link?

Is this all on your site, or are you having a link to your site? I think we need more information! any code to visualize what your talking about or a page showing what you mean?
    Last edited by sirhcchris3; 09-20-2004 at 08:10 PM.

OK, here's the complete deal:
    I need to create a database of URLs of specific web pages, and it needs to be created anew every week. All of these web pages are external. I've set up a system where I have a frame from my own site at the top, and any time I come across one of the pages I need, I can press the "Add" button on the page in that frame, and it adds whatever URL is in the bottom frame (this usually isn't permitted if the bottom frame is in an external page, but through some Netscape permission manipulation, I managed to get it working).

Unfortunately, some of the links I need to follow to get to the pages I need to get to have the target="_top" property, wiping out my frame at the top. So my question is: Is there any way to prevent this?

as far as i know, there is no way to block a target="_top" on another persons website.....you could try contacting the website webmaster and ask them if they would change it!....i would use a server side language like asp where you can request the url of a page and send that to the database...this help any?
    Last edited by sirhcchris3; 09-20-2004 at 08:52 PM.

I'm using PHP to store and manipulate my database, but how would one get details of another frame which is pointed to an external site through a server side language? Or should I be asking this in another forum?

I don't know about php but i do know you can do this in asp....post in the php forums and ask them....! good luck!

I've been using Javascript to get the URL of the other frame. How are you suggesting that I use ASP or PHP to help me with the _top problem? Or are you suggesting I use ASP or PHP instead of Javascript?

Thanks for your help so far.

Thread Information