www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disable or Save As - web page protection

Dear Friends

I read all the stuff over disabling save as option but still I haven't got the actuall code if any of u know please send me up

thank you

with regards
    sgrkadam

The short answer is that you can't stop a determined person from saving your page.

Firefox's Cache is located in the Privacy section of the Preferences.

1.0.6 is the latest version of Firefox at the time that I'm posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgrkadam
    Dear Friends

I read all the stuff over disabling save as option but still I haven't got the actuall code if any of u know please send me up

thank you

with regards
    sgrkadam
    you are looking for something that cannot be found.

Man who try squeeze water out of stone too hard end up getting water out of hand.

I have no idea how this relates to anything, but if anyone asks this question again I'm going to go supernova in a giant ball of pure nova-hot rage and obliterate the universe. Some people would call that harsh, but I don't honestly think it deserves to exist if humanity is all it can come up with.

sgrkadam the simple reason why you can not find an answer to your question is because there isn't one. Disabling funamental functions of browsers is a security concern above all else, and a bloody nuisance for any user who wants to use those functions for legitimate purposes.

Any casual save is hardly going to do you any harm, and anyone determined to save your content will do so no matter what you try. You might as well try and protect the air you're breathing by frantically waving your hands in circles and gathering up the air molecules.

If you're that determined, you could also have your site spawn a new window for your content with all the menus removed. Then you can laugh maniacally as the determined save-as monster tries to find the menu!

Quote Originally Posted by WoD
    If you're that determined, you could also have your site spawn a new window for your content with all the menus removed. Then you can laugh maniacally as the determined save-as monster tries to find the menu!
    that would take me all of about a second to break, if not less.

The way web browsers work:

1. They download a copy of all of the required files to the local computer.
    2. They display the page using those locally saved files.

If you want to block step one then you will also block step two. The simplest way to do this is to not upload the web page to anywhere on the web in the first place.

your last paragraph should be in red/pink and huge lettering, i like it sums up this thread completly, good job and welcome to the forums i know ou have 823 posts but ive never seen you before

dear friend still I have not found the right code for disabling the save as
    please send me the code through the forum

Thumbs up

dear friend still I have not found the right code for disabling the save as
    please send me the code through the forum

sgrkadam

To disable save as you copy the web page to a CD. You then break the CD into two pieces and take them out into your garden and bury them in separate locations. You then delete all of the copies of the page from your computer and from the web. Failure to perform thes precise actions will mean that your web page can be copied - web browsers are designed to copy web pages - thats what web browsers do.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    To disable save as you copy the web page to a CD. You then break the CD into two pieces and take them out into your garden and bury them in separate locations. You then delete all of the copies of the page from your computer and from the web. Failure to perform thes precise actions will mean that your web page can be copied - web browsers are designed to copy web pages - thats what web browsers do.
    Your web page will still exist. Copies of your page will remain cached around the web. You have to replace your files with something else with the same URL. That way the cached version will be overwritten - but only when the cache is updated.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Would blowing up the planet suffice?

Look, the whole point of the web is to spred information and, by its nature, it resists any attempt to hide or restrict information. And to that I say "Huzzah!"
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

The wayback machine of course has copies of old versions of web pages available so I guess it is safe to say that if you have published something on the web then the only way to stop it from being copyable is to blow up the planet. My earlier suggestion would work only if the info hasn't already been uploaded.

Talking

dear friends

I would Like to Know how to Disable Save a copy as in toolbar as well as in menubar I know by setting some fields in passwords in pdf it is posible
    Please help me out
    thank You
    sagar (sgrkadam)

Thread Information