www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disable or Save As - web page protection

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by WoD
    Man who try squeeze water out of stone too hard end up getting water out of hand.

I have no idea how this relates to anything, but if anyone asks this question again I'm going to go supernova in a giant ball of pure nova-hot rage and obliterate the universe. Some people would call that harsh, but I don't honestly think it deserves to exist if humanity is all it can come up with.

sgrkadam the simple reason why you can not find an answer to your question is because there isn't one. Disabling funamental functions of browsers is a security concern above all else, and a bloody nuisance for any user who wants to use those functions for legitimate purposes.

Any casual save is hardly going to do you any harm, and anyone determined to save your content will do so no matter what you try. You might as well try and protect the air you're breathing by frantically waving your hands in circles and gathering up the air molecules.

If you're that determined, you could also have your site spawn a new window for your content with all the menus removed. Then you can laugh maniacally as the determined save-as monster tries to find the menu!

thanks friend I do Admire Ur words but My official Must Admire Me let It be I have Found one way to show the broswer of mine without menu bar
    & disable right click , the select (i.e., CLrt+c etc) so less cmputer experts can do a mess but still print screen is there so I'm really woried about that

any way friend thank you all of others to help me out physical to sort this problem

sagar(sgrkadam)

Sgrkadam You have not found a way to disable right clicking. You have not found a way to disable ctrl+c. You have not found a way to remove anything against your visitors will. There is no way to prevent "print screen". You cannot by any means whatsoever find a comprimise between showing your visitors your websites content and letting them take it.

If you honestly belive that it is possible to to do any of the above then please show us and we will be happy to prove you wrong by copying every line of your source and saving every image.

Why don't programmers just give a straight answer?

I too am looking for some code that will just disable the right click function.
    Dose anyone know how to do this? Now I know there are a miliion ways to get around it. But your thinking like a programmer. The fact is if you can disable the Right click save as function that will detour probably 95% of your surfers from collecting your images. STOP THINKING LIKE A PROGRMMER!!! most people who surf the net are just average people who don't know all the ins and outs of what they can and can't do.

So please, please if there is a real snip of code that you can give me that disables the save as function please let me have it.

BTW I don't think knowone metioned the fact the you can always take screen shots too.... LOL But again the common person just won't do this...

Thanks in advance,
    Nanuk

Exclamation Right Click Disable

no right click

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">

<!-- Begin

function right(e) {

if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&

(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))

return false;

else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&

(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {

alert("YOUR IMPUT MESSAGE HERE.");

return false;

}

return true;

}

document.onmousedown=right;

document.onmouseup=right;

if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);

if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);

window.onmousedown=right;

window.onmouseup=right;

// End -->

</script>

</HEAD>

While this will block right-clicking for the most clueless of users, in the long run, it will probably do your site more harm than good. People don't like having their abilities taken away, and finding out that the webmaster did something like this is usually a good reason for visitors to leave the site fairly quickly.

Anything you put on the internet is fair game. Once its out there, people can freely copy, paste, print, alter or whatever else they could possibly want to do to your material, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. The sooner we can all accept that, the sooner threads like this will disappear.

Hi.

I know its not my business, but why on earth you would like to put something on the net if not for shareing with others? If you don't want the others to use your material simply dont publish on the net.

Or on the other hand, if you want other to pay for what ever you are so protecting, build an e-commerce on your page.

Piece a pie and easy as cake!

ouhh and one more thing. Leave the masters alone to help some of us, who have real problems.

Brixie.
    Last edited by brixie11; 10-31-2005 at 09:16 AM.

To share is one thing to steal is another

Maybe people want to show pictures of there vacation or of their hot girl friend, maybe they made a cool photoshop painting and they just don't want people to copy it and spred it around. Maybe they came up with cleaver code or something. It like if you invented or created something and someone else stole it and did not give u credit or anything. That is ok in your eyes?

If you all are so good at finding all these work arounds why would it matter to you anyway.

IC the code got posted to block right click save picture, here it is again. I got no help here at all just a bunch of lame programmers with big egos telling me how they can get around it. What a bunch of Ding Dongs.

============================================================
    Script: Basic No-Right-Click Script
    Functions: Blocks right-click on mouse and shows alert box
    Browsers: NS & IE 4.0 & later; degrades gracefully
    Author: etLux

Put the following script in the head of your page:

<script language="Javascript1.2">

// (C) 2003 CodeLifter.com
    // Source: CodeLifter.com
    // Do not remove this header

// Set the message for the alert box
    am = "This function is disabled!";

// do not edit below this line
    // ===========================
    bV = parseInt(navigator.appVersion)
    bNS = navigator.appName=="Netscape"
    bIE = navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"

function nrc(e) {
    if (bNS && e.which > 1){
    alert(am)
    return false
    } else if (bIE && (event.button >1)) {
    alert(am)
    return false;
    }
    }

document.onmousedown = nrc;
    if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    if (bNS && bV<5) window.onmousedown = nrc;

</script>

Why dont you go and spend hours learning how to use dhtml to disable such standard browser functionality, instead of just asking for code?

Its obvious that almost every single person on this site disagrees with the concept... and will not want to give you any code because of such disagreement because they probably havent WASTED thier time writing such code.

Hell if you want find out more about it search the forum, we had a bigger thread for this not long ago and that one was heaps better.

Your band wagon has square wheels.

Waylander.
    Last edited by Waylander; 11-08-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk
    Maybe people want to show pictures of there vacation or of their hot girl friend, maybe they made a cool photoshop painting and they just don't want people to copy it and spred it around. Maybe they came up with cleaver code or something.
    If its so good or valuable then dont put it on the internet!

I got no help here at all just a bunch of lame programmers with big egos telling me how they can get around it. What a bunch of Ding Dongs.
    I would just like to point out, ungratefull swine, that a "lame programmer" wrote that script you just obtained....

STOP THINKING LIKE A PROGRMMER!!!
    Thats got to be one of the most foolish quotes ive seen on this site..

This is webdeveloper.com if you dont want a programmers opinion, then go away and annoy other people for f**k sake.

The people who you have been abusing, are proffessionals. Programmers and Scripters, They wont stop thinking like programmers because it makes them alot of money and for you to talk smack to the otherwise is an insult.

If you think you know everything then prove it. Show me a site thats better than what people on here have written, show me protection they cant crack, show me a secure site that users wont leave STRAIGHT away once they realise you have stolen standard browser functionality from them.

Geez.

Waylander.

STOP THINKING LIKE A PROGRMMER!!
    I am merely a God so don't really think like a programmer; though I suspect most average GUI users have experienced context menus or maybe the more clever that have a two button mouse may use 'mouse gestures' to surf.

So please, please if there is a real snip of code that you can give me that disables the save as function please let me have it.
    There is no common function that does that; do the words Web Accessibility and Usability mean anything. In human-computer interaction and computer science, usability usually refers to the elegance and clarity with which the user interface of a computer program or a web site is designed.

In Greek mythology, Pandora was given a box by the gods, and was told not to open it. Naturally, she opened it...
    That is why people are so reluctant to give pointless scripts that annoy so many people - making it hard for them to use the site - just for the sake of the tiny minority that are stupid enough to try stealing the material.

…got no help here at all just a bunch of lame programmers with big egos telling me how they can get around it…
    At your Service! You did get help just not the help you expected they told you the pitfalls and that most people hate having their freedom being restricted.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 11-10-2005 at 05:35 AM.

Smile

thanks

Opera completely disregards any attempt to block the right mouse button. Firefox allows you to choose whether to allow such rubbish to run or not. It is not possible to block the menu in a properly configured browser and even if you do there are at least 20 other ways to get the source some of which can only be blocked by destroying the internet completely (and possibly not even then).

easiest way i can think of is to use flash to display the page that way they cant veiw the source. only of the flash file and if its dynamic i cant see a way of them being able to save the page etc...

also you could probably use php/asp to generate an image of the content (i dont know anything about that tho just a possible idea)

scripts to disable actions on browsers is a very ineffective way to go about things you need to do something server side. as i can very easily disable javascript etc... at the click of a button on FF, and in IE.

if you take a look at some of the banks and the systems they use to stop this. (hsbc opens a new browser window with no features (address bar, file, edit etc...) then right click is disabled with a warning message.

Wait, but you haven't posted the magical code to disable everything I don't like!

Would you get mad at your doctor because he hasn't found a way to grow you wings? Exactly.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Quote Originally Posted by knowj
    if you take a look at some of the banks and the systems they use to stop this. (hsbc opens a new browser window with no features (address bar, file, edit etc...) then right click is disabled with a warning message.
    one of the perks of opera is that i can choose which javascript functions i want to allow. i have disabled address bar hiding and opera always has its file, edit, etc. options available.

Thread Information