dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: doctype strict is the greatest

doctype strict is the greatest

Hey everyone,

I never really understood the whole use strict doctype or transitional for websites. I just used transitional and never bothered to validate my code. But today I was frustrated with how my website looked on Firefox in comparison with IE6. I could not understand why if I specified a certain width that on one browser it looked great and the other it was off.

So I researched a little and changed my doctypes to strict xhtml. I then validated my code and found out I had alot of attributes, etc, that were not valid in this doctype. I knew that would happen but what I didn't know is that when I changed the doctype that both browsers would now come up with the same errors and same width settings, and so on.

I spent the next couple of hours validating my code and fixing errors and editing css to make sure everything looked the same. And finally sucess, my website after man years of uglyness; looks awesome in IE6, Firefox, Opera and Netscape.

I advise all users to use the strict doctype and validate code, it makes everything come together. Your website and users will thank you.

My final result: http://www.mididelight.com

You have forgotten to validate your frame page!
    Is your page semantically correct? A table of links?
    Is your page accessible to all? Does it still work when JavaScript is disabled?

Still some work to do.

ok let me explain myself.

mididelight.com is a domain I bought through a seperate vendor than my current ISP that my website resides on. mididelight.com redirects to my www.sbertalotto.com/midi_delight/ server. The method used by that company to redirect users is by creating a frame page.

They create a frame page that is 100% of the screen and have it load my www.sbertalotto.com/midi_delight site. I do not know why they do it this way, but thats how they do it. So when people view my source they see the frame structure and not the actual code I used.

To see my code, you can either right click anywhere in the browser window and select view source. Or you can go to this url www.sbertalotto.com/midi_delight/ to see the source that way.

Hope this clears it up

Thanks

Try and convince them not to use a frame, it's pointless and makes your use of W3C validator image/link invalid.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    please don't spam these forums.

thank you,

-administration

who's spamming?

Your document's DOCTYPE is not a recognized DOCTYPE and may not be valid. Note that DOCTYPEs are treated as being case sensitive.

Originally posted by mididelight
    who's spamming?
    A large quantity of spam has been removed from the forums using a mass move. that's why rhs's comment is there, and why he now hates me for removing all the spam he's replied to... It's also why I've spent the last day explaining it...

Thread Information