www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Odd placement requirement.

Odd placement requirement.

I'm using some Javascript libraries to utilize RGB slider objects on my site.

This really isn't a problem, more of a perculiarity. The code only works in Mozilla and Safari if the tags to include the library scripts are at the VERY top of the page, and nowhere else. I've tried putting them lower in the page, or inside the <head> tag, or even just below the <html> tag, but they all make the code dysfunctional.

<script type="text/javascript" src="LibCrossBrowser.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="EventHandler.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="Bs_FormUtil.lib.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="Bs_Slider.class.js"></script>

http://iologs.com/basic.html

Does anyone know why that is?

You can only have one onload event....

My guess is one or more of the numerous other external javascript files are also using onload events, thus cancelling any which may be present in your slider's external scripts....

.....Willy

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I only figured out what the problem was by chance. If I hadn't moved the script tags to the top I never would have figured it out.

Did you fix the problem?

Or merely ignore the underlying problem because removing the externals scripts from the flow of the document and placing them above/outside the document appears to fix the problem....

I admit, it's probably voo-doo coding, but it makes it function flawlessly in all the major browsers. I'm not an Javascript expert, but I have spent way too much time fixing trivial JS issues to bother with this.

Either way, like I said, putting it at the top of the page isn't a problem for me.
    Last edited by non_zero; 09-25-2004 at 05:44 AM.

Just figured out the problem. Apparently it doesn't work with an XHTML doctype.

That's why it worked when I placed the script tags before declaring the doctype.

Thread Information