dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web-based Page Editor

Web-based Page Editor

Hello,

I'm working on a web site where the client wants to be able to update the news page on their own and without having to know/use html. Basically they want the news page set-up like a blog, but without any extras like comments, rating, calendar and so on. However their web hosting does not include SQL databases. I'm assuming that without database access this cannot be done, right? If they had database access what do you suggest using?

Thanks!

There is also the possibility of using text files. It's a bit more complicated to code but it's worth it if you can't use a database.

You can look at PHP.net to learn about using text files.

Hope that helps.

You will be hunted down if you ever suggest that again. A CMS really does need database access. Even a really basic news-updater. I would suggest JSP (which is better than PHP) with MySQL or MS SQL.

Tell your client that he/she must upgrade their hosting account before you can implement this type of functionality.

Regards.

Originally posted by buntine
    You will be hunted down if you ever suggest that again.
    *shifty eyes* Umm... sorry...

I was just suggesting that alternative like if his client does not have the means to upgrade his host. Anyway from what I gather all he wants is a simple area to manage a news section, nothing fancy like a CMS. I have done what he is talking about with text files before. I grant you it wasn't easy but it was good enough for me when I couldn't get MySQL.

Thread Information