www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: asp components in frontpage 2000

asp components in frontpage 2000

Is there a way to incorporate an asp component (content linking is the one I am trying) into Frontpage 2000? I am running Windows XP Pro with IIS 5, and have enabled the server extensions, but the same code that works in a regular .asp page does not seem to work when I work it into the html portion of a Frontpage 2000 web. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Von

This is the code for the table of contents page of the content linking component:

<% Dim MyBook, count, i
    Set MyBook = Server.CreateObject ("MSWC.NextLink")
    count = MyBook.GetListCount ("toc.txt")
    i = 1 %>
    <ol>
    <% Do While (i <= count) %>
    <li><a href="<%= MyBook.GetNthURL ("toc.txt",i)%>">
    <%=MyBook.GetNthDescription("toc.txt", i)%></a>
    <% i = (i +1)
    Loop %>
    </ol>

And this is the code that I inserted for each page that it would link to in the web page:

<% Dim myBook
    Set myBook=Server.CreateObject("MSWC.NextLink")
    If myBook.GetListIndex("toc.txt") > 1 Then %>
    <a href="<%= myBook.GetPreviousURL("toc.txt")%>"> Previous Page</a> || <% End If %>
    <% If myBook.GetListIndex("toc.txt") <= myBook.GetListCount("toc.txt") Then %>
    <a href="<%=myBook.GetNextURL("toc.txt")%>"> Next Page</a>
    <% End If %>

toc.txt is the page that lists all the pages in the web.

This code works perfectly well in a regular old .asp page as I said above. But inserted into the frontpage, a blank page comes up.

Any clues?

I can design the asp page in Frontpage but in order to execute it I

"must publish the page to a server in order to execute it (via normal browser)."

Do you know how to do this with IIS version 5.1? Just copy the whole page to the MMC? What about all the other files that Frontpage automatically creates? Just bring them along too? Please excuse my ignorance. I've used Frontpage 2000, and I've also used IIS, but I haven't used them together.

In other words, you need to actually publish the page before you can see what your code is going to look like? Am I understanding this right? Or do you mean I am publishing it through my own local server, IIS, rather than a remote one? As you can see, I'm thoroughly confused by now. In Frontpage, there is a "preview" tab so that you can see what it will look like before it is actually published to the remote server. Do you mean that this will not accurately show the code correctly until I push the "publish" button?

Thread Information