www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Rotating Banner without javascript?

Rotating Banner without javascript?

Given that there is no way out and you need to put rotating banner, what is the best an alternative to javascript (no animated gifs, flash, nor anything to do with plugins)? Is there any?
    Absence of a result is a result, unless defined otherwise.

You can use a server-side language, but it will only work when you reload the page.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Any SSL (Perl PHP ASP etc.) could do this easily.

Without reloading?

Methinks you may need to clarify what you mean by "rotating". It could mean an animation making it look like it is rotating around an axis, or it could mean that you rotate through several distinct banners over some periodicity (like a "pitching rotation" in baseball as opposed to a rotating curveball in baseball ) which may be what the first couple replies were addressing.

If what you need is an animation effect, then it is going to have to be something that runs on the client side. I would think an animated GIF would be the simplest and most portable solution. However, from a style viewpoint, I would attempt to dissuade the customer from this, as many people (including yours truly) find such things to be annoying and generally tacky.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Khm, you are right, I need to clarify.
    I just need a simple slideshow (dropdown or slide-in is fine) effect, to change advertising banners every number of secs. I'm trying to figure out a way for EVERYONE to see it (meanwhile I'm just using a trusty <noscript> with list of advertisers in it, since putting all the images will eat the page up)

Well, if you're doing that, you could simply use Javascript. Or maybe, use serverside to make it start on a random ad on each page load, so that no script users will get random ads, and then use Javascript to rotate through for the Javascript users among us. This isn't critical, and since so many users have Javascript, I see no problem with it, if you rotate it on reload via server side, that is.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Well, if you're doing that, you could simply use Javascript. Or maybe, use serverside to make it start on a random ad on each page load, so that no script users will get random ads, and then use Javascript to rotate through for the Javascript users among us. This isn't critical, and since so many users have Javascript, I see no problem with it, if you rotate it on reload via server side, that is.
    Word. Have a look at this article: <http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/jf/>. You could use a server-side language and just place a random banner in the NOSCRIPT tags, while using JavaScript for rotation. The article doesn't address automatic-rotation without reloading, however you should be able to find a script to do this on your own. If not, let me know, please.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by Daria
    Without reloading?
    Daria,
    Here's a Perl script I wrote that I've been toying with. It uses an iframe on the page. The iframe is independently refreshed via the Perl script using simple meta refreshes to alter the images in a predefined order according to the previous query string. You can see the example here.

Thread Information