www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frames! Yay!

Frames! Yay!

http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes/

Looks the the World Wide Web Consortium isn't about to dump Frames in the trash bin yet!

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    moved to general in hopes that it will stay on topic and NOT turn into a flaming match
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by Mr Initial Man
    Looks the the World Wide Web Consortium isn't about to dump Frames in the trash bin yet!
    But indeed, that's precisely what they're doing. Take a look at this excerpt from the document in which you linked:
    From <http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes/#abstract>:
    XFrames, an XML application for composing documents together, replacing HTML Frames.
    This XML application, XFrames, is completely replacing HTML frames. Which is to say that they are in fact "dumping frames in the trash bin". Moreover, I'd advice you to take a look at the Introduction section in the XFrames spec. The W3C notes all of the usability issues that HTML frames have caused, therefore displaying the need for XFrames. Clearly again showing that this is not what you've interpreted it to be.

XFrames looks like a step in the right direction, but until browser support is reliable enough I'd say doing everything server-side is a fine solution.

Yeah, these look good, alot more compatiable etc.
    if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

Originally posted by fredmv
    But indeed, that's precisely what they're doing. Take a look at this excerpt from the document in which you linked:This XML application, XFrames, is completely replacing HTML frames. Which is to say that they are in fact "dumping frames in the trash bin". Moreover, I'd advice you to take a look at the Introduction section in the XFrames spec. The W3C notes all of the usability issues that HTML frames have caused, therefore displaying the need for XFrames. Clearly again showing that this is not what you've interpreted it to be.

XFrames looks like a step in the right direction, but until browser support is reliable enough I'd say doing everything server-side is a fine solution.
    Depends on how you look at it, though. Yes, it replaces HTML framesets, which, unfortunately, weren't all that great.

HOWEVER, you could ALSO say "XFrames, an XML application for composing documents together, completely replacing HTML frames. In other words, it's frames all over again, simply done in a different way.

As I like to say "Drunk is drunk, whether on cheap beer or fine wine". So frames is frames, whether with HTML or XML.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 10-02-2004 at 02:53 AM.

As I like to say "Drunk is drunk, whether on cheap beer or fine wine". [/B]
    But hungover from crappy alchopops and cider is a lot worse than hungover on white wine.
    Did you notice that you can put a style sheet in a xframeset? Surely thats some improvement.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Definately an improvement.

Hmmm... I think IEvil is gonna lose this browser war, if it doesn't pull up its socks in a hurry.

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    I think IEvil is gonna lose this browser war, if it doesn't pull up its socks in a hurry.
    Will never happen. It doesn't matter all the bad things, it does one thing that everyone cares about, it works.

The framset and frame tags are not deprecated yet, it seems*, but I think that will change soon. If it doesn't, i think it has to ...

You never know.

Henry Ford built 15 million Model T's over a period of 19 years, and Lord knows THEY worked.

But, because he didn't change the design of the cars, the market turned against him. Ubiquitous products will eventually be forced to change with the times, especially in the face of new technology.

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    You never know.

Henry Ford built 15 million Model T's over a period of 19 years, and Lord knows THEY worked.

But, because he didn't change the design of the cars, the market turned against him. Ubiquitous products will eventually be forced to change with the times, especially in the face of new technology.
    No they won't. That's just what they want you to think (they referring to the unknown forces of cars/www).

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    Will never happen. It doesn't matter all the bad things, it does one thing that everyone cares about, it works.

true, but that's not the main reason. Mozilla works along w/ many other. The reason so many ppl use IE is not because it works but because they already have it on their computer. Every comp u buy comes w/ IE. It doesnt come with firefox, opera, etc. 90% of the ppl (hmmm.. about how many use IE) dont know anything at all about the computer. They use a few features and that's all. If firefox started coming w/ newly brought computers THEN IE would have a chance of dieing out. Untill then, it will be the main browser used

Hmmmm... How to get other browsers onto computers...

I meant from the get-go.

I meant from the get-go.
    Download
    Install
    USe

???

Thread Information