www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Hybrid View

(The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Alright, mainly inspired by this thread: http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...threadid=45595

I present to you the idea of a Web Development Guide. You know, you're good old "How to make a website" guide. Well, actually, more like: "How to Make a Proper Website" guide. All the guides out there don't teach properly. This is why there is so much confusion and anti-W3C thoughts out there. There's no place guiding you in creating a website the proper way. W3Schools is great, but it breaks it up into learning the technologies. The best bet is to aim for those who are just starting out. Those who are confused and look for the simple how to make a website guides. Who need help putting it together. Not so much a series of guides on HTML and CSS and the like, but a series which teaches how to create a website.

And damnit, this won't fall through like the Internet Bible! No, I forbid it! Forget things like management systems, hosting, and design. If we pooled together and started writing some guides, than we could actually do this. And create a rich resource to guide those in creating modern websites that are accessible and future friendly.

This is a good idea one in which i would be happy to contribute to by writing some articles.

Thanks sharkey. If need be, this can be hosted off of my website, nice and ad free (I've got a lot of space and bandwith). I really think that if we start gathering some articles this will actually happen and won't die (Like the Internet Bible thing). So, come on people, you've got ideas, don't you? A name for it? How should the articles be written? What should be cover? That sort of thing.

Yea, a very good idea. I would also be interested in helping with this .

RyanJ
    Cheers,

Ryan Jones.

Sounds good, but who's gonna do all the... y'know stuff. You'd need somewhere to put these guides.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thumbs up

Good idea, Bob. How can I contribute?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Yes, we of course need a website. That's easy enough, there are tons of free hosts and cheap hosts out there, and as I said, I could host it as well. Making a website isn't difficult (especially for a forum of web developers) and I don't want to get hung up on the technicalities. If somebody wants to design something, then design away. But until this actually gets off the ground I think we should push actually getting some articles written and to get enough support so that it goes somewhere. If we get enough people involved, than this will actually work out.

We should organize it all in this thread. That way it's open and everyone can know what's going on. Basically we're looking to create guides to take the beginner through the world of making semantic, accessible, cross-browser, appealing websites. Step by step, and do it right the first time. After all, making standards-compliant, user friendly websites isn't hard at all when you know what you're doing. So the goal here is to provide the resources neccesssary.

I'd be happy to make a design. Are we going to have staff members, like www.webdevfaqs.com does, along with guest articles?

Sorry Jona, started writing before your post. This needs to be organized, so if we want to do this properly we'll need writers, of course. Perhaps an editor or two. Of course, we need a website as well! Whichever is your srtrength, or you think you'll be best at. But before people start writing articles, perhaps we should work out a basic outline of the guide?

Sure thing, I'm prepared to contribute whenever and wherever possible, that's all.

Outline. Well you'd have pages on How to add content, how to style it, how to get content, what hosts are good etc etc. It needent be a start here then finish there thing, it could be all cross referenced, like how people actualy do learn.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

On the previous thread, I already offered to do an outline, and I'm working on it right now (would be finished, but the tractor shed's roof was leaking; had to help teh dad shingle it- we ran out of shingles. ). Once the outline is done, people can write up certain sections, and then people can edit them. Also, once we're done, we could probably put it up on Webdev faqs, so we needn't worry about design or hosting. Also, don't worry about structuring it until we're done.

I would love to get involved with this (I sort of had the idea here).

In my opinion, one of the first articles that should be written shouldn't actually be about coding, but about planning and the tools O' the trade. Ive noticed that alot of sites have great concept and a design that sounds good in your head, but not online.

Perhaps a guide showing people how to plan - and how with planning you don't need an awful lot of expensive programs to make a decent site - would be nice.
    /(bb|[^b]{2})/i

=> Pedro's Blog (Blog.Ability) <=
    Yup, it's bust again!

It's not a series of articles, it's more of a walkthrough.

Originally posted by Ben R.
    On the previous thread, I already offered to do an outline, and I'm working on it right now (would be finished, but the tractor shed's roof was leaking; had to help teh dad shingle it- we ran out of shingles. ). Once the outline is done, people can write up certain sections, and then people can edit them. Also, once we're done, we could probably put it up on Webdev faqs, so we needn't worry about design or hosting. Also, don't worry about structuring it until we're done.

I thought about that. I don't know, it's just that I haven't seen any work on it in... well, actually, I don't recall ever seeing work on it. But it's just been static. I know that Ryan, Khalid, and Dave are busy. I was planning to see this as being more of a site with articles and guides on development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't webdevfaqs.com geared towards answering common web development questions? The idea here is to guide begginners into the art of making websites, and perhaps even expand it to include guides for experienced developers to enhance their sites and change over towards CSS and more accessible websites.

For this here guide, should not we start with the basics of how a website is made? Many beginners when starting out, are just figuring out how a website works. Maybe a nice, brief, not to technical explanation of a website's different components and how they fit together? And then you could start in with some basic HTML. And then some basic CSS for styling it. And then you could keep going with a bit more HTML, and a bit more CSS for styling. That way, while learning, people can see results and make it while not using presentational markup.

Thread Information