www.webdeveloper.com
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    davidbrent's profile
    davidbrent
    elegantly bad ass
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

no probs. when can we see this stuff in the hyper text?
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Erm, "the tree", what be your name? I'll put you on the list...
    My real name? Paul Carpenter.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Sorry, bad wording (Again); as for error handling I meant using .htacess for error handling (404s etc.) - maybe put it in with the linkrot section? I would be glad to write a section on .htaccess and .htpasswd if it's needed.
    /(bb|[^b]{2})/i

=> Pedro's Blog (Blog.Ability) <=
    Yup, it's bust again!

Yeah, that sounds about right. Maybe there could be a section on test servers, and that could be a part of it.

Okay, I think we need to get something straight. We are to have a guide and then seperate articles. The difference? The guide explains how to begin web design and development with HTML and the absolute basics of CSS, whereas the articles will go into in-depth specifics (such as .htaccess, server-side languages, assorted CSS techniques, XHTML - the good, the bad, the confusing, and so on).
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by Jona
    Okay, I think we need to get something straight. We are to have a guide and then seperate articles. The difference? The guide explains how to begin web design and development with HTML and the absolute basics of CSS, whereas the articles will go into in-depth specifics (such as .htaccess, server-side languages, assorted CSS techniques, XHTML - the good, the bad, the confusing, and so on).
    No, a guide all the way through. Eventually part of the guide will include servers- people WILL want to know how to set them up, Jona. We should tell them. All in one place, you know?

Well, as long as we are all in agreement on this, and we all know that we are, I'm cool. I'd contribute, but I'm not a "guide" type of writer. I will probably contribute some articles later on, though.

Originally posted by JavaHead Jonnie
    Sorry, bad wording (Again); as for error handling I meant using .htacess for error handling (404s etc.) - maybe put it in with the linkrot section? I would be glad to write a section on .htaccess and .htpasswd if it's needed.
    Originally posted by Ben R.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Maybe there could be a section on test servers, and that could be a part of it.
    I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves here. Has anyone checked out the outline? Notice how there’s a lot of stuff in it? Maybe we should get that done before we start worrying about things like servers and .htaccess. If and when this thing finally gets completely, we can start thinking about more advanced stuff, but right now I think we just need to concentrate on what we have to do already.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Maybe what we could include is something like "The HTML Document from the Top Down"

Have it set up like...

<!DTD>
    <html>
    <head>
    Meta tags
    Title
    Links
    </head>
    <body>
    Headings.
    Divs
    Paragraphs
    Etc.
    </body>
    </html>

You mean, like an example of a page? Of course we'll have plenty of those. We want to guide them along smoothly, keep them calm, keep their heads clear. By the way, I haven't finished my tags section out of laziness, but I hope to soon.

Have all the contributors sent in their bios?

I have, but it was rejected. I can't write bios. I'm just... slow, in that area.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Originally posted by Jona
    Have all the contributors sent in their bios?
    NO.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

It's not really that hard to do...but anyway, can we get some ideas for what should go on the main page? I feel the whole idea is rapidly dying...

Thread Information