www.webdeveloper.com
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Originally posted by pawky
    first off (because i did make it sound otherwise :P) i never rush through things and make sure they are complete, otherwise i could have already worked on some :P I do take my time with all that i do and all that. And, i misused article obviously, i meant section, guide, whatever you want to call it.
    Excellent. For the record and the sake of my own reputation, I wasn't searching for a way to correct or belittle you by any means; hindered communication often, if not always, results in loss of some sort. I just want to make sure we all understand each other, and that I know what you meant by "article," to avoid confusion. I also, for the benfit of the guide, want to make sure all work is thoroughly complete, even though I trust that all of our project contributors, including yourself, Pawky, will do so on your own.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    You got the go ahead on HTML Syntax. You just never got the motivation to write it.
    Shush, you. I don't remember that, but, it's pointless to argue. I've already started on it, just been busy. Bikes and GTASA don't ride or play themselves, you know!

Originally posted by Jona
    Excellent. For the record and the sake of my own reputation, I wasn't searching for a way to correct or belittle you by any means; hindered communication often, if not always, results in loss of some sort. I just want to make sure we all understand each other, and that I know what you meant by "article," to avoid confusion. I also, for the benfit of the guide, want to make sure all work is thoroughly complete, even though I trust that all of our project contributors, including yourself, Pawky, will do so on your own.
    no worries Jona. I understand it was miscommunication and it can be seen by just reading what i typed. You were just stating off of what you read which you can be expected to do more then that.

I need to incorporate SEF URI's, but I can't test it because my server isn't working. (I've a thread in the general forum if anyone can help). I'll then upload it, and contact those interested in setting them up. It's got a user login system, and you can write and submit articles. Editors can edit and publish these articles. It's database driven and valid, of course. So, if I can just get my test server up tonight, tomorrow it will be up.

Server's up. But I want to crawl up and die. Reinstallation deleted all my documents. (I thought it left htdocs alone! What the hell?!) And now my work is gone (not even in the recycling bin!) God, it worked all nicely, too. My server's back up, but now I don't have the system I made, so this will set things back. Damnit! I'm being conspired against!
    Last edited by MstrBob; 11-02-2004 at 06:19 PM.

It's got a user login system, and you can write and submit articles. Editors can edit and publish these articles. It's database driven and valid, of course. So, if I can just get my test server up tonight, tomorrow it will be up.
    *Tear* You gone and dun it wiv out me!!!
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Well, it's all pointless now, because of an install (an my current inaccess to external drives) I've lost it, and several other projects that I was working for. So now I'm screwed and back to square one. At least I've been able to resurrect one of my redesigns for work. But everything else I've been working on as of late is gone. So here I am. Bloody Brilliant.

Well, it's all pointless now, because of an install (an my current inaccess to external drives) I've lost it, and several other projects that I was working for. So now I'm screwed and back to square one. At least I've been able to resurrect one of my redesigns for work. But everything else I've been working on as of late is gone. So here I am. Bloody Brilliant.
    Heh. Well, that sucks. You sure you can't retreive it?

I tried. I have none of those delete recovery programs, and at this point, the download and installation would probably overwrite the missing files. They weren't sent to the recycling bin, and I can't find them in any temporary folders. Gone, along with the rest of apache 1.3 I reinstalled it, but its a bit late now since I've lost everything from my new web journal system, my website's design, on the webdevguide work, and other stuff. Dammit! Bob is pissed!

I know this project is essentially dead, but I don't want it's death to rest on my shoulders, so I'd like the other article I said I'd do to be reviewed, please. [HTML syntax] That's on my localhost, so if in the case of me being offline, I've attached the page's source in a text file (it's only HTML, I just like the PHP extension better).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sigh. When I found this thread I thought I'd struck gold. I'm new to web development, have always been a hardware guy.

From what you guys described you were going to do, it would have been exactly what a beginner would have needed. Too bad.

That said, what resource, or group of resources do you think I should turn to? So far, I'm about halfway through the tutorials that come with Dreamweaver MX 2004. My first mission is to set up a simple website for my church. Perhaps I should "cop out" and just buy a completed template, but I sure hate to take that route if I can help it. I want to learn.

Anyways, sorry to hear about the file loss and the loss in interest in this project. From the talent invovled, you guys could have uploaded this to a server and sold copies. Thanks for any advice.

Slackin

Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Originally posted by slackin
    Anyways, sorry to hear about the file loss and the loss in interest in this project. From the talent invovled, you guys could have uploaded this to a server and sold copies. Thanks for any advice.
    I'm just pissed 'cuz I already did two articles, and noone else is doing theirs. I'm sorry this isn't being done, but it's just cuz everyone else here ('cept Bob, Jona, and anyone else who already contributed) sucks.
    Originally posted by the tree
    Go to http://w3schools.com
    Seconded. Maybe not as user-friendly and clear as it could be (which was the purpose of this guide), but oh well.

Well, I installed WordPress. I've heard good things about it, and I'm thinking we can use it as our backend. Subsequently, if you're interested in helping out, editors, contact me and I'll give you your username/password. I'm still trying to get all the options of this ironed out, but I think it will work just fine. Basically, our writers will now be able to freely write, editors can help edit, and then publish the articles. Once I've fully configured it, I'll help by writing as well.
    Last edited by MstrBob; 11-11-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Appreciate the tip.

I've still got my articles on my computer. They're offline right now, but I'll put them back up ASAP.

Thread Information