www.webdeveloper.com
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Besides, it's not WYSIWYG, it's WYSI(N)WYG. Also, it should be "non-standard markup and scripting translator," not "bad browser."
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by Jona
    Besides, it's not WYSIWYG, it's WYSI(N)WYG. Also, it should be "non-standard markup and scripting translator," not "bad browser."
    Hehehe. I was sorely tempted to go into more detail (such as ripping into IE and WYSI(N)WYG editors), but I won the ferocious battle against my urge to do so.

Ah, I know how you feel.

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    Two things.

2. WYSIWYG is an initialism, not an acronym, so I think the ABBR tag is more appropriate.
    it is an acronym not an initialism ;P

acronym
    ac·ro·nym
    word formed from initials: a word formed from the initials or other parts of several words, for example, “NATO,” from the initial letters of “North Atlantic Treaty Organization”

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    don't forget deprecated
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by Mr Herer
    Ok. The first run of the glossary is done.

http://www.vagusnet.com/ste/glossary.html

Comments and words to be added?
    because we are also going to be going into CSS a bit w/ this I suggest two glossaries to begin with. The first one being what you currently have, explaining the basics. And then a second one that talks more about the CSS stuff like what w3.org has at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#terminology where it would include like child element, parent element, pseudo element, etc...

When we get into scripting and PHP in the future or whatever that could be included here as well. just my thought

I dont think its a good idea to wait on the structure until after a bunch of articles are written. No one will want to sort through the mess at that point.

What you need is an outline, a draft. Since there will be a ton of input from a ton of people, you'll need a draft as a starting point. Once you have set a common vision (meaning outline, intended audience, walthrough vs. collection of idependent articles, etc.), then you should set up a series of threads all with a common subject line to organize everyone's efforts (ie WDG CSS; WDG HTML; WDG Webhosting; etc.). Lastly, just like forums have moderators for each category, so should this project have "chapter leaders" so to speak. Otherwise you end up with chaos, and loss of morale or one person spending too much time doing everything.

BTW: There are a ton of tutorials out there so there's no need to waste tme making another, but a walkthrough, if designed intelligently, could be very popular.

Anything you need just let me know.

Originally posted by Reli4nt
    Lastly, just like forums have moderators for each category, so should this project have "chapter leaders" so to speak. Otherwise you end up with chaos, and loss of morale or one person spending too much time doing everything.
    This is a great idea as it would give the different sections more of a stable method of writing. If different ppl edit the same section you will end up w/ more of a variation in writing style. And though this isnt really 'bad' it isnt really that helpful. It would be easier for one to read through a section and have the same or close to the same writing style the entire time.

currently we have:
    EDITORS
    Bob - (YIM: MonComradeBob)
    Benny Boy - (YIM: otacon2662)
    Paul (Grammar Enforcement) - (YIM: cssprophet)
    Skinner (RHS, NavelMan, whatever) - (AIM: skinnybtuba)

WRITERS
    Mr. Herer
    Sharkey
    Sciguyryan
    Zach
    Bob (me again)
    Paul (perhaps?)
    Daniel T.
    Jick
    Pawky
    Paul C.
    Pedro
    Booooze

DEVELOPMENT TEAM
    Jona (Designer)
    Paul (PHP/MySQL development)
    Conor (PHP/MySQl, and our Host) - (YIM: conor1021)
    Bob (I'm everywhere)
    for who wants to participate.

The editors should be assigned to a particular section and one sort of going very briefly over everything. So the thing would be broken into three sections w/ how many editors we have now (if there are more sections add an editor) with one 'head' editor (im guessing MstrBob atm). The reason for the head editore who 'briefly' runs through every article is to make sure the entire thing is keeping on the same track and not section is going in the direction it should be.

Next we have 12 for articles (Bob, i dont think you should do articles for quite a while as w/ how im saying u have a bit as well but you will have a lot to do w/ editing) so 11 and paul is only a perhaps. So we have 10-11 writers. We should break them initially down into different groups so that everyone knows what they are writing. Once broken into the smaller groups (break them into a group they feel comforatable w/) they can meet in their smaller group w/ their editor (who is there to just give incite) and break it up into who will do what. This will give this whole thing a lot more structure. I think I included everything.

Dang! We could start our own army lol...

I for one think that a chain of command is a wonderful idea. I remember a few previous projects that got their start on these forums that fell apart because of the lack of organization. People were just going off doing their own thing which was not good at all. It ended up a mess rather than a useful thing.

I'm not sure what the best way would be to determine the chain but it is something that needs to be thought about. I suppose the best way would be to make the most experienced ones the leaders. One thing that will screw it up is making the leaders just the people that provide the most. Leadership should be determined from quality not quantity. I don't believe that someone should be made leader just because they are "providing the hosting" or "paying for the domain" or that kind of stuff. Just because they are supplying those resources doesn't make them an expert leader. (No offense to anybody. I know some of you are providing such resources)

I'd be happy to help. And you'll never guess this (or you might... but...) I decided to start a website to do this month or so ago. http://www.simplewebdev.com Since I was alone in it's creation it didn't get anywhere and I ditched what I had made, but I would be happy to donate / use it for the website you guys propose. I own the domain name and have hosting etc...
    Oh, by the way: I know it is very hypocritical of me, but at the moment I don't have the time to read 15 pages of posts to see if you guys have a domain name / site yet. If you do I am sorry, feel free to flame me

I don't have YIM (I could get one if needed) but I can be reached at:
    msn messenger: akadis2 at hotmail.com
    aim: akadis2
    Please review my website

Originally posted by Jick
    Dang! We could start our own army lol...

I for one think that a chain of command is a wonderful idea. I remember a few previous projects that got their start on these forums that fell apart because of the lack of organization. People were just going off doing their own thing which was not good at all. It ended up a mess rather than a useful thing.

I'm not sure what the best way would be to determine the chain but it is something that needs to be thought about. I suppose the best way would be to make the most experienced ones the leaders. One thing that will screw it up is making the leaders just the people that provide the most. Leadership should be determined from quality not quantity. I don't believe that someone should be made leader just because they are "providing the hosting" or "paying for the domain" or that kind of stuff. Just because they are supplying those resources doesn't make them an expert leader. (No offense to anybody. I know some of you are providing such resources)
    exactly, w/ o it there is a LOT of room for things to go wrong and astray. Personally I think it MstrBob would do good at 'heading' the whole thing and the other 3 ppl listed as editors would be directly under him each incharge of a different section. Assigned to them are other ppl that write the articles for that section only (after a while they can start doing some others as well IF they talk w/ the other group as well to make sure everything will work out fine). And lastly the developers, Jona and Conor and all arent really in the 'Chain of Command' but are off to the side for that part This I feel will give it enough structure and allow for room for movement.

I see that at http://guide.urlshrink.net/ there's a link to "about us" I'm good at writing that type of thing.

msn me: carpenter(dot)paul(at)gmail(dot)com
    skype me: paulcarpenter
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Ok. The glossary is now in definition list format.

http://www.vagusnet.com/ste/glossary.html

Paul C., in the about us section and assuming it's all right with Bob, I was hoping for a miniature biography for each of the staff members -- of course, we'd have the main "about the site" section first, and then a listing of the staff members with a link to their mini-bio on another page. RHS's idea, but I like it.

Originally posted by pawky
    it is an acronym not an initialism ;P

acronym
    ac·ro·nym
    word formed from initials: a word formed from the initials or other parts of several words, for example, “NATO,” from the initial letters of “North Atlantic Treaty Organization”
    It is not an acronym; SWAT is an acronym, SCUBA is an acronym, BASIC is an acronym. An acronym is basically a word that is made up of the first letter of several words.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Thread Information