dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Sorry, bad wording; I'm asuming that you'd have to have the walkthrough organised/split up into chapters/sections or whatever. I was just suggesting a topic for a section.

Also, as well as a walkthrough, resources, links etc. maybe have a section of seperate tutorials on ways of improving your site with scrpting languages, PHP, ASP etc.?

Yeah, I get you Bob. Attached is the outline, I think it's fine the way it is for now.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 10-05-2004 at 08:02 PM.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    I know that Ryan, Khalid, and Dave are busy. I was planning to see this as being more of a site with articles and guides on development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't webdevfaqs.com geared towards answering common web development questions? The idea here is to guide begginners into the art of making websites, and perhaps even expand it to include guides for experienced developers to enhance their sites and change over towards CSS and more accessible websites.
    Word. Why not make a whole web site out of the idea, and get a domain?

Ah, Ben, very, very nice. That's a great outline, with a nice logical flow. My only concern is the styling, or lack there of. When people learn, they like to see results. With your method, people will see results rather quickly, which is good. But upon doing something like a heading, they'll want to do something like change it's color. I'm unsure how we can implement styling without (1)Overloading readers or (2)Dragging it out too long We don't want people going into presentational markup, so it's just going to be trying to implement styling slowly. But I think it can be incorporated into that outline.

Yeah, I see your point, but hopefully, we can make the tags part fast. It'd probably be a <dl> like <p> - denounces a paragraph, <strong> - denounces strong emphasis; and then afterwards right on to spiffifying it.

Taking the example given by Bob with the H2's and colors: When reading such an article on headings, one may temporarily leave the site and search for a way to color their text; they then find incorrect information before correct information which is explained later. To address this problem, I would suggest linking to a CSS-related article at the beginning of the article and also at the end, so that the reader can refer to that article if he feels he should modify the visual presentation of his text. This way, the reader knows that the article links to another one which tells him how to do what he is interested in doing, without him having to search the Web for information on how to do it.

Or, maybe do it in such a way so that near the tags section it has what will be made to look like a box with Modifying colors | Modifying fonts... and stuff like that. It'll eventually be SSL generated, so we'll worry about that much later. (Don't worry about the scripting of the site right now, because then this project will die off just like the Internet Bible did.)

A clearer, HTML formatted version: http://projep.no-ip.com:81/test/forum/guide-outline.php
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 10-03-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by Ben R.
    (No getting into the scripting, that's what killed the bible)
    That should be rephrased....

But, Jona, I like that idea. So that we don't have to overwhelm at first, but we can still help out properly those who wish to know. I just noticed that Ben, erm "forgot" to add a section about frames, until he talks about SSI.

I think, then, that we have a great plan of action for tackling this. This is, of course, open to anyone who wishes to write on these topics. But this really goes in depth into the art of web design, and I think by the fact that it covers so much, will be of a much greater help to readers. The outline thus far covers many common questions, and I think will leave the reader in a lot better state to create websites. Normally it's just "There, you've learned the HTML basics, now out you go!" But by guiding, and especially the sections on using CSS to create layouts, which confuses many beginners to CSS, and by getting it right the first time, this will definately turn out well.

I don't think we need a definitions list for HTML elements, though, since it's already documented at the W3C and should just be a link in the links section -- perhaps, when we refer to an element, we should describe it and the element's name should be a link to the particular reference area of the W3C. This would, possibly, be the job of the editor(s).

I'd be willing to help/donate a domain/hosting

Originally posted by Jona
    I don't think we need a definitions list for HTML elements, though, since it's already documented at the W3C and should just be a link in the links section -- perhaps, when we refer to an element, we should describe it and the element's name should be a link to the particular reference area of the W3C. This would, possibly, be the job of the editor(s).
    We don't want to overload the reader, this is for beginners. Keep everything in one place, and keep it clear and non-technical.
    Originally posted by Conor
    I'd be willing to help/donate a domain/hosting
    Thanks Conor, we'll probably have to take you up on that later.

Hmm, not to deter from further brainstorming, but just so that (A) We have something to call it and (B) I can look into a domain name, what should we call it? A nice, easy name for a nice, easy guide....

Something like www.websiteguide.com or www.ultimatewebguide.com or www.webdevelopersguide.com or www.learnthestandards.com or something, I would think.

Maybe each individual should have a particular task, once we get all the details sorted out?
    Last edited by Jona; 10-03-2004 at 02:32 PM.

I agree with Jona about handing out tasks, once we know what we're doing. I reccomend something like make-a-site.net for a domain, by the way.

I would go with something like sbdesignguide.com or webdevguide.com or webdevelopersguide.com

Thread Information