www.webdeveloper.com
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    I too would choose b.

Well, in the syntax section, these things should be explained. I don't feel I need to change this, and I think that if the section on syntax is written well enough, then this will not present a problem.

I purposefully avoided the subject in the article I wrote because I didn't know which we were doing. I think readers should be made aware of Xhtml early on (and shown some brief examples of it to show it is very much the same) but told they will be taught 4.01 only for now and that the reason for this will be explained later when they are ready.

I think Charles has said this best, there is no purpose to XHTML.

Gah! XHTML isn't that different from HTML, so, yeah, it is kinda pointless. But it makes my page's styles work better in IE6, so I'm not going to complain. But, if I remove the " /" you'll be all happy? It bothers you that much? This little trivial thing bothers you that much? *eye twitch*

Nitpicking makes me want to burn things...

Ben, calm down. We are just doing our best to make your article best in the viewpoints of the readers. We are only trying to make suggestions as you asked for. 'Tis all

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    I think Charles has said this best, there is no purpose to XHTML.
    I agree. I think that we should teach these people that it is perfectly acceptable, and in some cases preferred, to code in valid, semantic HTML 4.01, and it will function just fine (I mean, Eric Meyer uses a 4.01 Trans. DTD!!!). Unless you know what you’re doing, then XHTML is not any better than HTML (in the case of just coding websites, it isn’t anyways), and may be worse.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

XHTML, though I prefer it myself, as it is often used on the web, is pointless. XHTML should be passed as an application of XML, no? But since there are user agents (*cough IE cough*) that don't support it, you also need to pass it as plain old text/html for those that don't support XML. So really, on the web, HTML 4.01 is the preferred way to go, and is what the guide will teach. XHTML is not much of a leap, but is a bit more advanced. One can code a page up to par, and even better than, an XHTML page. So we are sticking with HTML 4.01 for the guide.

Ben, i just don't want to confuse the reader. I remember when i was learning, the most trivial varients in code could throw me for at least a few days. I was just using my readers persepective.

I would reccoment writing the book with HTML but simply explaining in the outer ending about XHTML and converting the present code.
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

I think it would be wise that we write the guides using html strict and just let them know that they do have more options later on.

I think introducing XHTML would be great after the guide is finished or whatnot. I think we should wait to confuse the user more after he/she is already completely confused.

sounds like a good film!
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    Ben, calm down. We are just doing our best to make your article best in the viewpoints of the readers. We are only trying to make suggestions as you asked for. 'Tis all
    I'm not angry, if I was, I wouldn't be typing in coherent English. Fine, then I shall remove the ' /', especially seeing as if I don't, Bob could just remove it when entered into the database. ^_^;

Also, I'm going to add comments.

Though it's already been decided, I just thought I'd point out that I'm in compelete agreement. The guide should be exlusively HTML 4.01 (strict, obviously).
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

I still think the readers should be made aware of xhtml early on. Only a small notice mind. I mean what happens if they start learning with us and then see something about xhtml elsewhere? It could throw them off completely.

I'm not talking about teaching any of it or any differences in it, just merely stating that it exists and they should not be thrown by it.

Thread Information