www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Originally posted by Conor
    I would go with something like sbdesignguide.com
    What's "SB"? Standards-based? I would think something a little more generic would do better...
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

yeah I guess, you need something that will get high in the google rankings quickly because people will just go to the first thing they see.
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm actually partial to http://www.webdevelopersguide.com and http://www.learnthestandards.com But, that's just me. In terms of sorting out tasks, this is most likely a good idea. We can organize and work a lot better and faster. Probably, we should do it based on our talent area and how much time we can contribute. Most likely, there will be a bunch of writers, who are the most important. There needs to be a few editors, as well, I think. They could obviously proof read articles, format them for the website, add in a links that are necessary, actually add the articles to the site, and so on. We could look into going alistapart.com style and having periodic articles on web design, but for now the main focus will be getting ready the guide.

Aye. I like www.webdevelopersguide.com, too. What genius thought of that? I'll say I'd like to be an editor, and I would like to put my Photoshop skills to use on a design, as well.

Sorry Bob, but I'm not a fan of those domains. It should reflect that it's a site to learn how to make a website. making-a-site.com, something generic, something blatant- make it seem official.

I'll be a writer, an editor, and I'll work on the design when the time comes. I'll probably focus more on editing, though, and then writing, and then maybe hammering out the design with whoever else wants to work on that.

I don't like dashes in domain names, though, Ben. Got any other ideas?

I'll have my first article online in a few minutes.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    well i'll help when i can, but i'd definitely be an editor. i can check through the articles and then run them through my dad (who teaches english at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and has a Ph.D in English.)
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

As previously said, this is an all-in-one deal, not seperate articles. So you mean that you're writing a certain section, and posting it? Also, when saying what it is, something like the basics>html>syntax would work nicely.

Hmm, well, since I normally have an abundance of time, I'll volunteer for editorship. Once we pull this whole thing together that is. I'll see if I can pull together some articles, as well. I'm not a designer, this is well known. Actually, it'd be interesting to see what design Jona and Ben could come up with together.

Well, I'd work on one now, but I'm not in a designing mood; I'm not feeling inspired as far as aesthetics go. I'd think something legible, flexible, clean, and very usable. Frustrated readers = them leaving = them learning the wrong way. Bright color- make it look professional.

I'd like to know what kind of ideas we're going to want for the design, though. Something elastic, fluid, or fixed; color ideas? Blue on white? Soft on eyes, easy reading, but cool to look at?

Hmm, yes, let us refocus. Allow me to clarify. We're going to have a guide. Sort of a Big Guide of Everything Website Design, so to speak. Now, it's broken down into different sections, chapters if you will. Having a bunch of writers certainly will speed this process up, but as we divide it, we can divide it by saying, "I'll take the Chapter on Doctypes!" or perhaps, "I can write the links subsection, and it's chapters" The main goal is to first come together, and write this guide. The guide is the central focus point of the site. Other subsequent guides and/or articles can be thought about, but forget it for now. Let us not go in mulitple directions before we get off the ground. If we keep it focused, this will work.

Alright, well, the basic idea of the design should be, I think, light colors. Nothing particularly bold or daring or graphics heavy. Not to say that we should wind up with a boring, whit-grey design, either. Some nice bright colours to mix it up, make it look fresh, alive, vibrant, yet professional. If that makes any sense, lest I'm just spewing out adjectives at you.

Elastic, fluid, or fixed would depend on the layout, would it not? One, two, or three column?

Thread Information