dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

Originally posted by Jona
    Bob, I skimmed over your introductory piece. You may wish to go through a lot of information at the W3C for some reliable information on how computers communicate through the phone line by sending encoded data and whatnot. This way the user will not be misinformed or left with many questions. Your facts don't appear to be incorrect, but they are loosely defined. It's always good to extensively study content before presenting it as factual. We all know HTML, but we must, as Charles puts it, "inwardly digest" the documents at the W3C. This will take a lot of time, but I believe that extensive research and studying will result in much more comprehendible and concise results for our guide. Just a thought, take it with a grain of salt.
    I don't think that we should get into things like this in the introduction of a beginner's article- it might scare them away, you know? I reccomend that we hold off on this until later in the guide.

I did research for that just to make sure. However, being as the section on the Internet was merely to give the reader a general idea of how the internet works (Server, Client, IP address, and domain name) I didn't wish to get too technical. Yes, I've left out bits, like routers and their use, and how the DNS are organized and obtain data, and how individual computers connect online. But I didn't wish to overload the reader. Do you perhaps think I should expand it a bit more? In which areas?

Originally posted by MstrBob
    I did research for that just to make sure. However, being as the section on the Internet was merely to give the reader a general idea of how the internet works (Server, Client, IP address, and domain name) I didn't wish to get too technical. Yes, I've left out bits, like routers and their use, and how the DNS are organized and obtain data, and how individual computers connect online. But I didn't wish to overload the reader. Do you perhaps think I should expand it a bit more? In which areas?
    I don't think you should. I think that you've got all they need to know for now.

Uhm, could someone else write the tables section for the tags article? I've done the revisions that Bob suggested on the article, but I'm not sure how to go about outlining tables, so I'd like someone else to do it. Also, I'm resubmitting the tags section for review. <http://projep.no-ip.com:81/test/forum/guide/tags.php>

Edit/Note: Once Tags is cleared, I'll take up the <head> section.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 11-21-2004 at 08:47 PM.

As Ben just said, we don't want to "scare them away"; confusion would cause the reader to become skeptical very quickly.

Your information is not erroneous, but I think there are a few minor adjustments to be made, which I've taken the liberty to make in the following paragraph. Otherwise, well done.

It is usually helpful, when working with a technology, to understand what it is, what it's capable of, and the basics of how it works. The same applies to developing websites on the Web. The word "Internet" literally means "an interconnected system of networks." You see, the network is a very large network of computers, but it is made by a large series of networks connecting together. So your computer might be part of a network in the northeastern U.S., but you can connect to a computer in London, U.K. because the networks are connected together. In essence this means the Internet is actually a network of networks.

How exactly do you access websites? First, the two computers must connect. In these connections there is a server and a client. The server stores documents, programs, and other files, and the client will send requests for these files. When the server receives the request, it is processed, and then the server sends the information back to the client. So when you go to a website, your computer is contacting a Web Server, which stores websites, and requesting documents.

But how does your computer find the right server among the millions of other computers on the Internet? Well, you probably type in a domain name, such as www.google.com. While this name allows you to identify the website, the computer can't do much with it. To find another computer on the Internet, a computer needs what's called an IP address. This will look something like this: 216.27.61.137. An IP address is unique to a computer while it is connected to the Internet, and allows other computers on the Internet to connect to the computer. But they are rather hard for people to remember.

So there are computers on the Web known as DNS, or Domain Name Servers. They take the domain name and use it to find the IP address for that website's Web Server. It then gives it to your computer, and your computer uses it to connect to the right Web Server. This is the basics of how the Internet works.
    Last edited by Jona; 11-21-2004 at 09:29 PM.

*Raises hand shyly.* I've got my two articles back online...

http://www.furnation.com/Mister_Init...oject/CSS.html

http://www.furnation.com/Mister_Init...ject/HTML.html

I'm willing to be an editor... I can't edit Ben's page very well, since his site seems to be offline, whenever I'm on.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 11-22-2004 at 02:41 AM.

Yeah, it's on my localhost, so there's going to be a lot of downtime. By the way- could you check those links? They timed out for me...

http://www.wdhaven.com/guide.php

For now, at least...

"The HTML Document, From Top to Bottom" puts down something I've been trying to enforce, by stating the default style. I've been trying to enforce the idea HTML is for structure, not styling- then CSS allows you to alter the look according to your whims.

How does the article contradict that idea?

How does the article contradict that idea?
    The article (only slightly, not a rewrite, just a few deletions) contradicts that idea by supplying the default styles of elements. Instead of finding what they want to use, the users may just say I want bold font on this paragraph, ooh, <strong>. Paranoia, yeah, but justfied paranoia.

Oh, sorry, missed. Edited those two bits. Is that the only section you were referring to?

Oh, sorry, missed. Edited those two bits. Is that the only section you were referring to?
    The only part I saw, yeah.

Originally posted by Ben R.
    "The HTML Document, From Top to Bottom" puts down something I've been trying to enforce, by stating the default style. I've been trying to enforce the idea HTML is for structure, not styling- then CSS allows you to alter the look according to your whims.
    Is there something I could do to rectify that?

Originally posted by Ben R.
    Yeah, it's on my localhost, so there's going to be a lot of downtime. By the way- could you check those links? They timed out for me...
    Could have been a Furnation glitch. The URLs are correct.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 11-22-2004 at 09:23 PM.

Yeah, the links work now- just too lazy to check it out ATM. BTW, I beleives Bob already fixed the prob.

Thread Information