www.webdeveloper.com
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: (The Complete?) Web Development Guide

There. Made the correction.

You sure about that Ben? You don't think it'd be a good idea to have people know exactly what they can do with it from the get go? We only need to look in the html section of this forum to see evidence of people never actually finding what it is and why their pseudo "html scripting" won't email someone?

I think it'd be a good idea to have people know what direction they're going to be going in before we start moving them.

I'm pleased to see the speed at which this thread is growing too. A good indication of the enthusiasm that is likely to get thrown into it.
    Last edited by Mr Herer; 10-03-2004 at 03:00 PM.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Originally posted by Mr Herer
    I'm pleased to see the speed at which this thread is growing too. A good indication of the enthusiasm that is likely to get thrown into it.
    well the internet bible project had lots of enthusiasm to start off with, too
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

I think it'd be a good idea to have people know what direction they're going to be going in before we start moving them.
    I do think that that would be good, but you don't really say what it is, you start off with what it isn't. Be more blatant, it's an intro remember. This is what they read first- if it intrigues them, they stay, if it doesn't, they'll be going to the next tutorial.

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    No! NO! Damnit, I'm determined that this project enters the realm of reality. Look, we already have a chapter for HTML Introduction. All the Internet Bible ever had were snippets and ideas. This is important, and I know it can get off the ground. Let us learn from the mistakes of that idea. Scripting will not get in the way here. Though, the system should be run by some sort of system (of which I'm working on) it won't impede the process of writing this guide.

Shhhhhhhhh!!!

Anyway. What ya reckon to the thing I wrote. I know the wording could be better but I'm not too hot with the ol' concentration at the mo'.

Also if we're having a "tools of the trade" section, I'd like to remind whoever does it to include a bit on why we need to test in different browsers. Just make sure not to make it sound like all browsers render completely differently and end up scaring people off.

Also if we're having a "tools of the trade" section, I'd like to remind whoever does it to include a bit on why we need to test in different browsers. Just make sure not to make it sound like all browsers render completely differently and end up scaring people off.
    i think we should find a site that renders completely differently in different browsers and take screenshots to show people the differences.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by Ben R.
    I do think that that would be good, but you don't really say what it is, you start off with what it isn't. Be more blatant, it's an intro remember. This is what they read first- if it intrigues them, they stay, if it doesn't, they'll be going to the next tutorial.

No no no no no. I don't mean this to be an intro to the site, just an informative article that should be read early in the process. The real site intro should be of a completely different vein. That should tell people that they will be learning in a particular way so that they learn right the first time and don't have to go through the trauma of "making the switch". Telling them how it will make pages FAR easier for them to make and that pretty much 100% of people with access to the net will be able to access the page.

I wrote the article I did to re-enforce in their mind the idea that they can do it because it has a learning curve instead of a learning cliff.
    Last edited by Mr Herer; 10-03-2004 at 03:24 PM.

so this will be like w3schools?

Hmm, let us examine the guide:

- Introduction (What making websites is about; content, form, design, SSL's, 'rules', etc.)
    - The basics
    - HTML
    - Syntax
    - How it works, semantics
    You see, this is not the beginning. Rather, this would be the HTML introduction. The first article would be about what makes up a website and what you need/need to know. Forget about telling people the right and wrong way and switching and all that. This is to take the real beginner and guide them. Talk about right ways and wrong ways and all will simply confuse. Let us not add anything right away that we don't need to. Nice and easy and brief. But allow it to sink in, information overload will simply scare readers off.

But, I feel, that the article is a good starting point.
    Last edited by MstrBob; 10-03-2004 at 03:31 PM.

so this will be like w3schools?
    Originally posted by MstrBob
    There's no place guiding you in creating a website the proper way. W3Schools is great, but it breaks it up into learning the technologies. The best bet is to aim for those who are just starting out. Those who are confused and look for the simple how to make a website guides. Who need help putting it together. Not so much a series of guides on HTML and CSS and the like, but a series which teaches how to create a website.

I'd think of it as more of a friendly walk through getting started with html. Going on into real page making and some real applications of html. More like a friendly teacher that talks youi through things, rather than an instruction manual (which is rather like how w3schools feels).

It doesn't matter if it's another anything or not anyway. The more sites like this the better. Try and close the gap on all the millions of other sites out there that teach truly abhorrant coding.
    Last edited by Mr Herer; 10-03-2004 at 03:31 PM.

I'd think of it as more of a friendly walk through getting started with html.
    As said before, this is on making a site, not just learning html, which is simply structure.

This said, I just thought of something- should we note on web etiquette and the such?

Originally posted by Ben R.
    As said before, this is on making a site, not just learning html, which is simply structure.

This said, I just thought of something- should we note on web etiquette and the such?
    define web etiquette.

Bob , I'm really partial to learnthestandards.com but I think it should have a name that when the guide is finished will be able to expand past html which I was ultimately I would vote for webdevelopmentguide.com
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

If you mean translation of terminology via a glossary of some sort, then you'll notice this is hinted at in the article I made. Look at the links on the page.

Thread Information