www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this website

this website

I really like this site and the people it attracks.
    But can't something be done about the width of the content?
    Often i have to vertically scroll to read a post and then horizontally to read more, you have to scroll so often.

i'm using safari 1.2

regards

I've never used safari, but in IE the reason for horizontal scrolling is that some people use the code tag, which prevents line breaks, hence widening the entire page.
    Horizontal scrolling to posts is around the adverts, which the forum wouldn't be able to run without...
    so on the whole, no, nothing can be done.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

code? you mean pre?

how can i prevent this?
    by hitting enter before i get to the right side of the textaera i'm now typing in?

You could always just whack down the font size when you're in a "wide thread" I suppose.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i haven't seen any problems with this site in safari on OS X. which OS is on the computer?
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

this line will not break so you should now get horizontal scolling in this thread unless ofcourse you have a very high screen resolution in which case you will have paid a lot of money for your monitor and graphics card which no doubt are of very high quality though I suppose you could be using a cheap monitor and graphics card but just have them at unreadable resolutions... That's the code tag I referred to. Use CODE in sqyare brackets in the reply box. basically it gives you syntax highlighting, but removes screen breaks. Some people use it and it then ends up with horzontal scrolling. Post a reply when you have read this and I will remove it because it bugs me too.

[edit]Code tags removed 'cos I'm fed up of them now[/edit]
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

oh how i hate that.
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

I use code tags as well, mainly for posting JavaScript in, looking at code is the one time when you don't want line breaks so it's OK.

I know that sometimes people post code with insanely long lines in it and that sucks but what can you do?
    It's code, if there were line breaks in it, it just wouldn't work.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

I would say why not have a little symbol at a code-breaking line break. But I'm assuming it's rare (if ever) that the source for these forums gets tweaked?

yes.

Originally posted by Mr Herer
    I would say why not have a little symbol at a code-breaking line break. But I'm assuming it's rare (if ever) that the source for these forums gets tweaked?
    But then copy and pasting would be very difficult. I don't like horizontal scrollbars, but I'm glad that the CODE tags allow for preformatted text to appear exactly as it was written on the page.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Scroll the code box only when it's too big:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    <title>code scroller</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<style type="text/css">
    <!-- 
    .codebox {
    width:80%;
    }
    .codecontent {
    width:100%;
    overflow:auto;
    overflow-y:hidden;
    padding:0 0.5em 1em 0.5em;
    margin-bottom:0;
    }
    -->
    </style>

</head>
    <body>
    <blockquote class="codebox"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >code:</font><hr /><pre class="codecontent">
    <!-- user's code -->
    </pre><hr /></blockquote>
    </body>
    </html>
    A little css and shift the second <hr>

I think that's similar to what vBulliten 3 does, only the "code" block scrolls.

You could always add it to a users style sheet and apply it to the page with the web-dev toolbar extension.

Just tried that. It does work, but you have to reload it after a page refresh.
    Last edited by Fang; 10-14-2004 at 06:15 AM.

I think that there's a "persist styles" option somewhere. I can't remember where, it's been a while since I've used Firefox.

Thread Information