www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Registering a Web Design company

Question Registering a Web Design company

Hey People,

I have been thinking about starting a webdesign business, but I have no clue of where to start at. This business will be a part-timer. Certain questions that I what to bring to surface are:

1. Do you have to register your business?
    2. Do you have to pay taxes?
    3. Do you have to register your business name?
    4. Please fill me in!

There are many more question, but the one's listed above are at mind right now.

Thanks,
    Rob

1. Register your business if you are planning to make money.
    Register your ficticious name.

2. You don't have to pay taxes. Uncle Sam might be knocking on your door sooner or later. You are supposed to send in a quartely report of earnings if you made more than $ 500. (FL at least)

3. If your business is solely online, than you have to register with your County tax collector. I think you should have applied for an EIN number at this part.

Good luck.

PS: I have a good guide for new freelancers

Tampa Freelancer tips

Talking Thanks!

Hey thanks for the reply,

1. Well yes I would have to apply for a ficticous name.

2. No taxes? so every 3 months send in how much I made, and if it doesn't exceed $500, I don't have to pay taxes on it?

3. Yes. I have heard that I have to apply for a EIN number to pay my taxes. correct?

One more question, as a business owner would I be able to write off certain things at the end of the year? Like software, hardware, etc...

Thanks a whole lot!

Your quartelry report does have to be "submitted" if you income for the quarter does not exceed $500. You will have to pay taxes on it eventually.

Unfortunally, the sole proprietory tax runs around 16%, I heard. I am still fairly new to this myself.
    The self-employment tax (15.3% on the first $76,200 of net income, compared to the 7.65% you pay as an employee) drives sole proprietors nuts, even with the partial offset of being able to take an income deduction for half of the tax paid.
    For example, a freelance writer that earns their salary from their home office desk qualifies for the tax break
    Write offs. Yessss. That is the nices part about it paying your taxes. You get a lot it back when February comes around.

You can view some of my Freelance tips and info at
    Tampa Freelancing tips

Eventhough I can't stand Microsoft, they do have some decend articles for new business start ups.
    BCentral
    Last edited by Intensity; 10-12-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Smile Thanks for the Advice!

Thanks for the advice now I'm starting to understand the whole concept or paying taxing and how it works!

WAIT a second...

You need to call the business department at your local college or University.

WHY?

Because most have programs that will help people start businesses. They can point you where you need to go.

THis whole BS about taxes is wrong... because some states tax service work while others like Minnesota do not. Then with my Sub Chapter S corp. I put all of the earnings on my 1040 and it's not nearly so complicated.

I would also not bother with a DBA account/name. if your name is John Smith name it 'John Smith Webdesign.'

WHY?

Because it's easier to remember than whatever name you can come up with. It's a lesson that had I known when I started I would have done.... Ya know how many people say I was looking for CompUguys when there are no CompUguys only Compguys.

SO WHAT IF You have a good name picked out?

Well in that case you SAVE IT.... if the domain is available buy it and hold on to it. Once you get a clientel up and you last longer than 6months to a year then go for the name... test out the waters first Expecially if this is your first business. Don't pump all this extra thought into it.

ALso buy only using your name your then able to just claim the work on your taxes and you also dont have fuss with a lot of other detials.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

Lightbulb Never thought of that....!

I didn't know that universities might offer help with starting a business, I'm going to look into that and update you guys!

Thanks a bunch!

Thread Information