www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: basic question on vb.net

basic question on vb.net

Hi,

I just want to know what vb.net or for that matter c# is used for in the context of asp.net. I know there are other languages that can be used with asp.net. Are they simply used for the database work, i.e. creating database connections, and is this where you embed the sql statements? Of is the database work done using asp.net. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated,

thanks a lot

Thats what asp.net is done with. Asp.net itself is not a language, same thing with asp, its not a language. Asp is scripted most commonly with vbscript. Asp.net is scripped most commonly in the two that you mentioned. Its just like cgi, cgi is not a language, but perl is and that is what is commonly used to do cgi. Vb.net and C# are used for the whole thing. Sql is used for the data base write read update and delete statements.

Select this from this where this equals this
    update this from this where this equals this
    so on and so fourth.

hi

hi,
    thanks for reply,

so you mean in relation to asp.net, vb.net is the actually language asp.net is scripted in. in other words, it uses vb.net syntax and so on.
    so is you decided to script one application in vb.net and one in c# then the two sets of code would look quite different?

thanks

yes, vb.net is the actual code it is done with. It is done with the vb.net syntax. Yes the code will look different, but it should be similar enough so that even if you do not know the other language you should see what is going on. Much of the syntax is the same, just like asp classic, the sql statements will be the same, the server variables, lots of stuff will keep some of its syntax. Who said a whole application has to be scriped in vb.net, if you want you can even mix and match, one page c# one page vb.net... but I would never reccomend it.

Thread Information