www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xhtml, dhtml, htm

xhtml, dhtml, htm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, what's the difference between xhtml and html?
    Are there any compatibility benefits to .htm as opposed to .html files?
    And lastly, what is dhtml? Is it actually another a language, with its own syntax, or is it just html with CSS and/or JavaScript added?

Thanks in advance!

xhtml is basically a stricter form of html 4.01 strict but isnt supported as much (as far as i undertand)

from my understanding .htm is from when it first started and only 3 letters were supported (i could be completely off :P but what i think i remember reading a long time ago ) now everything is fine with .html and everyone seems to use that.

dhtml is dynamic hyper text markup language and as far as i understand it is just js used to make certain things look different on the site, so just js really

Re: xhtml, dhtml, htm

Originally posted by Zekintha
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering, what's the difference between xhtml and html?
    The answer to this isn't too simple. You'd be best off searching the forum for more info. The answer can range from anything between none to complete difference. In short, until you read up a bit though, if you're wondering which to use. Go with html.

Are there any compatibility benefits to .htm as opposed to .html files?
    Not so far as I know. As far as I know the difference only exists due to old Macs only being able to handle files with a three character file extension. Mac updated, difference rendered insignificant. (I could well be wrong though.)

And lastly, what is dhtml? Is it actually another a language, with its own syntax, or is it just html with CSS and/or JavaScript added?
    Pretty much yeah. Although the Javascript API of the DOM should be preferred over general (and often proprietary) javascript for dynamic pages to maximise compatibility. If a certain piece of software would support the (now pretty old) css2 standard, then much of the javascripting could be replaced by simple css alone.
    Last edited by Mr Herer; 10-18-2004 at 12:46 AM.

So then, are there any, and I do mean any advantages to using xhtml?

My teacher said that htm files are more compatible...hmm.... And when we were searching for so JS, he wanted it compatible with IE4.0 cuz he says quite a few people still use IE4.0

And a new question! (Thanks, btw, for helping me out! ^_^)
    What's the point of coding in php? What are the advantages (as opposed to html)?

As far as I know, and as far as publishing to the web goes, no. None that I know of right now. There are only disadvantages. Having said that though, I still use it.

My teacher said that htm files are more compatible...hmm.... And when we were searching for so JS, he wanted it compatible with IE4.0 cuz he says quite a few people still use IE4.0
    Well using proprietary javascript for IE 4.0 sounds like one of the dumbest Ideas I've ever heard of in web development. But hey, they're your pages.

And a new question! (Thanks, btw, for helping me out! ^_^)
    What's the point of coding in php? What are the advantages (as opposed to html)?
    Ah. Php and html are completely different. A simplistic way of describing php would be as "Javascript that writes html and sends it to the users". You can have php write out different ht markup depending on variables and conditionals. (it can also do a shedload more).

There are plenty of advantages when using XHTML however M$ Explorer exists and doesn't understand it thus we are stuck in a rut until more modern browsers like Mozilla become mainstream.

One major advantage of PHP; it is dynamic and can be used to include files into your (x)html document or do content negotiation saving your from duplicating files and various code syntax.

My teacher said that htm files are more compatible...
    .htm files are not more compatible any more. In the past this was the case, afaik, but now it does not matter at all.

Well using proprietary javascript for IE 4.0 sounds like one of the dumbest Ideas I've ever heard of in web development. But hey, they're your pages.
    What do you mean?

Thanks everyone~
    I thought so, about the php. I'll learn it when I find the time.

Take a quick look at this browser usage chart and draw your own conclusions as to why coding specifically for IE4.x is a waste of time:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004...er/browser.php

Incidentally I see the number of people with Javascript disabled is once again hovering at 9%.
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004...mber/javas.php

I thought so, about the php. I'll learn it when I find the time.
    Its not just php. There are other server side languages too.
    ASP ASP.NET PHP JSP CGI/PERL and Cold Fusion are all capable server side technologies. When learning one figure out what your past programming experience is then base the decision on that so you can find a syntax you are comfortable with. Also take into account what your host supports.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Also take into account what your host supports.
    though that should be lowest on reasons to pick a language as you can always find another host that supports the language that you learn.

Yeah but why go with a relatively more expensive host just because they support your randomly selected language?

I chose php because of its portability. You can just slap it on just about anything.

Originally posted by pawky
    though that should be lowest on reasons to pick a language as you can always find another host that supports the language that you learn.
    Not really, if you are familiar with a java like syntax but your host supports asp.net then you learn asp.net with c#, if your host supports php then you learn php. It saves you from having to move.

Yeah but why go with a relatively more expensive host just because they support your randomly selected language?

I chose php because of its portability. You can just slap it on just about anything.
    asp.net has a lot going for it. It is fully oo, it has event oriented controls, and it has unmatched language flexibility. Also it runs a bit like jsp in that it is compiled on application start which does reduce the load on the server, and I have seen some tests that show it to run about the same as or better than php because of this. Asp.net can also run on linux, mac, and unix, with mono. But mono is not complete yet. It does not have full vb.net support, but the c# support is supposedly good for asp.net. I have found windows hosting that were dirt cheap for good deals, windows hosting is only expencive if a host is greedy. A windows server is not too pricy to run, however I can understand charging more for sql server, that is expencive.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Not really, if you are familiar with a java like syntax but your host supports asp.net then you learn asp.net with c#, if your host supports php then you learn php. It saves you from having to move.
    seems easier to just change hosts :P but it could also be that this is more so my 'hobby' i guess instead of job. That could hold a big difference there i guess :P

I asked the same question over a year ago in this topic: Benefits of XHTML 1.x vs 4.01 Strict

And as pawky said above, the .htm extension was used a long time ago because Windows 3.x would only recognize three letter file extensions. Besides, if your HTML file has more than eight characters in the file name, excluding the file extension, then the file name is incompatible with Windows 3.x anyhow. Oh. An no one uses Win 3.x anymore
    Last edited by toicontien; 10-22-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Thread Information