www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: iframe - parent window communication

iframe - parent window communication

I have a page in which I include an <iframe>. When submit button is clicked I run a JavaScript that fills iframe's src: document.all.iframList.src="script.jsp?" + parameters;
    While script.jsp does it's thing I change the submit button on the page to disabled. But to change it back...that a problem. How do I know when iframe finished loading and how do I set submit button back to enabled?

thanks,
    camokat

In your IFrame, try this...

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    onload = function(){
     parent.forms["formName"].submitButtonName.disabled = false;
    }
    //--></script>
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

thanks Jona!
    It works, but I get a JavaScript error pointing at line where it enabled the button again:
    parent.document.forms["merge_form"].submitButton.disabled = false;

<HTML>
    <Head>
    <Script Language=JavaScript>

function checkState(){

if (window.frames['dynFrame'].document.readyState == 'complete'){submitBtn.disabled = false}
    else {setTimeout("checkState()",2000)}

}

function swapThis(isIFrame,isSRC){

submitBtn.disabled = true;
    isIFrame.location = isSRC;
    checkState();
    }

</Script>
    </Head>
    <Body>
    <Div align=center>
    <IFRAME
    Name = 'dynFrame'
    SRC= ''
    WIDTH='700'
    HEIGHT='250'
    Frameborder='yes'
    Scrolling='auto'>
    </IFRAME>
    </Div>
    <br>
    <input type=button value="Submit" id='submitBtn' onClick="swapThis(dynFrame,'newSrc.html')">
    </Body>
    </HTML>

Can you provide a link to the page in question, please?

Warren's code worked. But I don't understand why Jona's didn't. The error was that object was expected, but it was alerady set thru parent.document.forms... ?

I don't think it makes sense to try and control the property of a button that is an element of the main document by means of code that is in the source of the Iframe. My code controls the property of the Submit button by means of code solely within the main document.
    Last edited by Warren86; 10-27-2004 at 12:52 PM.

I'd appreciate it, Warren, if you used DOM methods/proper JavaScript and valid HTML. (Your code will most likely only work in IE, though I haven't tested it in other browsers.) It will help support standards in these fora, as well as increase compatibility between user agents. Please note, though, that I am glad you are a member of these fora and willing to help the members who post here.

Camokat, it helps when a link to the page in question is provided, so that I can cater to your exact needs. The solution I provided should have worked, but it depends on the situation and how/where you are using the code.

Thread Information