www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problems installing the J2EE SDK 1.4

Problems installing the J2EE SDK 1.4

Salutations,

I ran into a little snag while trying to install the J2EE SDK 1.4. The install failed and I got this error message from the log:
    ERROR - default domain creation returned following exception:

Usage: create-domain [--domaindir domain_directory] [--passwordfile filename ] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] --adminport port_number --adminuser admin [--adminpassword password] [--instanceport port_number] [--domainproperties (name=value)[:name=value]*] domain_name

CLI011 Invalid option, c
    However, the install seem to have worked -- or at least partially worked -- seeing as things were installed (maybe not everything, though).

I cannot start the web server, either. I get this error message when I try:
    Starting Domain domain1, please wait.
    Log redirected to D:\Sun\AppServer\domains\domain1\logs\server.log
    D:\Sun\AppServer\domains\domain1 does not correspond to a valid domain directory.
    CLI156 Could not start the domain domain1.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Hmm. I've never run any kind of installer for J2EE. I've always installed the J2SE JDK and then just extracted the J2EE libs and apps.

(Time passes...)

Ok, I just installed that SDK on XP and saw nothing like that. Did that happen DURING the installation or later when you tried to run something?

I think you might have this problem because of the user who logged on to this account does not have the appropriate role/privileges. Tryto install it by loggin in to the system as administrator account.
    If thats already true then make sure that you are not running any other instance of a webserver that may be using the same http port as the app server(8080??)
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

Originally posted by ray326
    Hmm. I've never run any kind of installer for J2EE. I've always installed the J2SE JDK and then just extracted the J2EE libs and apps.
    Hmm... well, as bad as this sounds, I actually have no idea what I'm doing. I downloaded the latest version (not the Beta, the one just below it) from this page. (The actual link to to the file is this.)

Originally posted by ray326
    Ok, I just installed that SDK on XP and saw nothing like that. Did that happen DURING the installation or later when you tried to run something?
    The error I got from the log happened during the install. I tried twice, and the same error occured.

Originally posted by Khalid Ali
    I think you might have this problem because of the user who logged on to this account does not have the appropriate role/privileges. Tryto install it by loggin in to the system as administrator account.
    If thats already true then make sure that you are not running any other instance of a webserver that may be using the same http port as the app server(8080??)
    I am not signed in as the Administrator, however I do have Administrator privileges (if that's the correct term). I shall uninstall it, log in as the Administrator (I think I can do that. Ha, my own computer, and I'm not even sure; I'm not a computer person), and try it again.

I only have one webserver running, and that is Apache2, which is on port 80 (which is why, I assume, the port already chosen during the JDK install is not 80, since it's in use).

Thanks.

***EDIT***
    All right. Well, it seems I am the computer administrator, not just a user with administrator privileges.
    Last edited by Paul Jr; 10-29-2004 at 01:10 AM.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    I only have one webserver running, and that is Apache2, which is on port 80 (which is why, I assume, the port already chosen during the JDK install is not 80, since it's in use).
    These app servers always go in with odd ball ports under just that assumption. I wonder if the real problem is that you've run out of temp space during the install. Is your disk all one partition or is it split up? Did you change the options related to the app server install like adding the examples or something?

It's split into two partitions. As far as I know (I didn't have a hand in doing this), the OS is installed on one partition, and I keep all my data on the other. So it's easier if I have to reinstall the OS.

As for the install options, I left them as they were. I believe in the examples are installed, yes.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Did it get far enough to create entries in the add/remove programs? If so then try uninstalling it and reinstall without the examples. Oh, and how much free space is on your C: drive?

As of this moment (with the JDK uninstalled), I have 1.5 GB of free space in my C: drive. Also, it seems I cannot decide whether or not the examples should be included. All I see that appears to be related is the option to create a second, preconfigured server instance to automatically deploy the bundled sample applications.

The installation did go far enough to create an entry in the Add/Remove Programs list. I have installed and uninstalled it several times, actually.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Well I would think that's enough free space. My final Sun/AppServer tree is only about 220M. I'm stumped. Is this XP, 2K, NT or what?

I'm running XP Home.

Do I really need all this? I mean, is all this required just to be able to write/compile Java programs?
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    I'm running XP Home.

Do I really need all this? I mean, is all this required just to be able to write/compile Java programs?
    Not at all. You can do straight Java with J2SE. J2EE adds the servlets, EJB, message queuing and other enterprise services.

Ah ha! I'm going to go download this J2SE and see what I can do.

Thanks!
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

I downloaded the J2SE, installed, and I'm off. Everything is working as it should, and I am one happy... uhh, camper.

Thanks to all who helped me throughout this tumult.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Thread Information