www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Registrar Experience

Question Registrar Experience

I was doing some looking today and I am considering transferring my domains to Dotster. I have quite a few domains so changing registrars is a bit of an investment. I would like to here any comments about Dotster you have.

I was a bit surprised that Dotster has a registrar-lock that's free, but charges $10 per domain a year, to totally lock all information at registry level with NameSafe. I know of other registrars that have a basic registrar-lock, that prevents any updates for all info, and it's free to use. Is the NameSafe thing really worth paying for at Dotster or does the basic lock do?

One of my biggest worries is the risk of social engineering. Social engineering is tricking the registrar to reset a password, by forging your identity, and than stealing or "hijacking" the domain from the rightful owner.

I am not sure if Dotster takes hijacking seriously. The fact that they accept faxes to reset passwords makes me nervous. They don't ask for any unique information on a fax that couldn't be found on the WHOIS, Internet-in-general (i.e. business incorporation info), or created with a printer (i.e. photo ID). I know some places ask a person to verify the last 4 digits of a charge card on file before resetting a password.

Does anyone know of a registrar (preferably in the US and Unix or Linux based) that takes more precautions to prevent hijacking? Cheap would also be a plus!

Thanks!

try

my friend David's

devilishdomains

you can find a link on my www.domains-4-u.com starter page i will be up and running myself next week with the same set up with .com domains for 4.25 +13p icaan reg or $7.88 +25c icaan reg per year
    Promptracer
    UKDaddy
    BritDad (Just Add dot com!)

David is in the US

Promptracer
    UKDaddy
    BritDad (Just Add dot com!)

Anyone trying to take advantage of Dotster's promotion right now? Is it just me or when you login do you not see any mention of the coupon?

dotster is ok but my best experience has been with http://www.register.com. they charge a little bit more but they have 0 downtime. with all hosting companies & domain registrars, technical problems arise, a good support team will be the difference between getting your online business back on track. godaddy's support is horrible. i think they practice "we got your money now your on your own"

If you have alot of domain names, you can get some attention and competative rates from Registrars - they want your business!

I use Domain Bank. Domain Bank charges $35/year for domains. Domain Bank also owns 123Domains.com, where they charge $14.95/yr (nice market strategy.)

I was using 123Domains for all my domains. Then found MyDomains at $8.50/yr. And I started transferring the domains over.

Boy was I suprised to get an email from DomainBank asking "please don't go" and offering me competative pricing!!!!

I negotiated $7.95/yr for domains through Domain Bank. Domain Bank doesn't charge for registrar lock or registrar-side DNS entries, they have alot of other nice features. And if you have a problem, you can CALL there and talk to a PERSON to talk to. I've been really happy with them, and ya gotta love when a company says "we want yoru business" like that.

So... I'm happy to refer them. I suggest that you give Domain Bank a call, tell them how many domains you have, and ask if they can give you competative pricing, Negotiate a yearly rate with them that you're happy with and go to town... I think you'll be happy with them!

Good Luck!

Thread Information