dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: No tabls CSS layout

No tabls CSS layout

I have developed my companies website using only validated CSS & XHTML. I think its ready to replace the current homepage but I was hoping for a little commentary before I officially upgrade the company homepage.

Your opinions on the following site would be welcome:
    http://www.rauland.com/_test/notables_rev11.htm

You have used javascript to determine which CSS file to link to. This is probably a bad idea as user may have javascript turned off which means no CSS link at all. See attachment to see what happens when this is done using FireFox. Actually not too bad.

Anyway, you should really try to get your CSS to point where you don't have to script round browser quirks - there is always a way, it's just finding out how to get there. Drives me round the bend sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by zingmatter
    You have used javascript to determine which CSS file to link to. This is probably a bad idea as user may have javascript turned off which means no CSS link at all. See attachment to see what happens when this is done using FireFox. Actually not too bad.

Anyway, you should really try to get your CSS to point where you don't have to script round browser quirks - there is always a way, it's just finding out how to get there. Drives me round the bend sometimes.
    To continue on that browser quirks thing, a collection of css hacks, also known as filters.

javascript support

well, y'all throw me into a quandry... lol. I just checked website logs and 98% of visitors have javascript enabled, a slight increase from 2 years ago when only 96.8% had it enabled. These numbers are a weekly average over the month of October 2002 - 2004.

So, do I really want to support the unfortunate/paranoid surfers that visit my site? Hmmm, and the site navigation is still appearing correctly, gee I think I'm gonna make 'em suffer 'til they update/enable their browsers... maybe. Being that both CSS and xhtml have validated, I'm really having a tough time satisfying those outsider people who refuse to come into the 21st century. My God, use Firefox (smart way), or tighten up & enable IE if they have to. ..... still contemplating, but thanks for the comments.

Well, if 10000 people visit your site, that's 200 people who saw something crappy (ok, yes they're nutters but 200 of 'em!!).

yes, there are a very small percentage of surfers that do not enable javascript, but when I contemplate the amount of time and effort required to to redevelop the page because of browser quirks, I think I'll leave the sniffer.... and the page may not be the prettiest with no CSS, but all links still function. If you have javascript disabled, I'm sure you're missing a lot of things on the web, and you are used to seeing pages that don't render perfectly.

Or, do you know of a quick way to fix the CSS problem?

Well here's way round the issue. Where the CSS actually differs between browsers have 2 css files ns.css and ie.css, and place the common styles into a third common.css

That way if you need to make modifications, say fonts, in most cases you will only need to change one file, rather than trying to keep 2 files synchronised.

Also, to cover the non-javascript folks, put at least one version (probably ns styles since these sorts of people prescribe to the idea of Bill Gates being satan etc...) within <noscript> tags.

There, that seems sensible.

Originally posted by Ben R. To continue on that browser quirks thing, a collection of css hacks, also known as filters.
    Pretty interesting.

I tried some of those @import tags and I'm sure they are supposed to be in the meta of only the document, since a combination of @import tags in both the meta of the document and another set within the CSS file completely screws up those results shown at the page linked to in the post I quoted.

zingmatter,

Interesting concept. I might five it a try to for those few who haven't yet figured out they are missing a big part of the Web,

I liked it!

From a customers point of view it looked good i think!

Thread Information