www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Anyone Know How To Get A Free .NET?

Anyone Know How To Get A Free .NET?

Does anyone know where to get a free .net? if so please tell thanks much

You can't. But you can do a google search for Microsoft .NET 2005 beta. You can't publish any applications with it, but it's a start into seeing how it works.

You can get webmatrix for free though. www.asp.net has it.

If you get "SAMS Teach Yourself Visual Basic.NET in 24 Hours" it has a copy of the 60 day Trial Version of Visual Studio Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 on DVD-ROM.

Otherwise I think Microsoft wil provide it for about $10

What is WebMatrix ???

Web matrix is a free asp.net IDE that is dstributed for free by ms. It can handle asp.net, and allow you to manage data.
    http://asp.net/webmatrix/default.asp...dex=4&tabId=46

You just need to download the framework and be running iis on your personal machine (install iis first, then the framework). You also need to have the SDK if you want to compile anything using csc or vbc, otherwise you can run it like a script. You could also find a webhost that supports asp.net. YOu could buy just C# or VB.NET standard for about 100$ also. You got lots of options.

Originally posted by mattyblah
    You just need to download the framework and be running iis on your personal machine (install iis first, then the framework). You also need to have the SDK if you want to compile anything using csc or vbc, otherwise you can run it like a script. You could also find a webhost that supports asp.net. YOu could buy just C# or VB.NET standard for about 100$ also. You got lots of options.
    You cant very well run IIS from xp home or 2000 home or non nt based windows. Cassini or mono are free solutions to this.

You can't get a free visual studio but you can download the .NET framework SDK for free. If you are a student you can get the Visual Studio for about $100.00. However you don't need it to run .NET programs.

To get started without a development studio. Go to the http://www.asp.net site and click the download link to get the .NET Framework Redist. Next, go to the same site and download the .NET Framework SDK link. You can now write all your code in a text editor and run it through your browser on the IIS.

I think that was your question.

Guapster

Apparently, you can try it free online in 3 hour increments as many times as you want. I have no idea how useful this would be, but FWIW: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/tryit/

.net framework is free

You can download .net framework from microsoft site. Also, you can write your code in webmatrix which is free or even notepad and compile from dosprompt. But if you are professional programmer, u need visual studio.

Re: .net framework is free

Originally posted by aspcoder
    You can download .net framework from microsoft site. Also, you can write your code in webmatrix which is free or even notepad and compile from dosprompt. But if you are professional programmer, u need visual studio.
    There are many professionals who do not use visual studio. Yes you need something more then note pad but nothing binds you to vs.net. I use dream weaver myself, and I love it. I do not use dlls extnesively, so the lack of the compiler is not an issue.

Re: Re: .net framework is free

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    There are many professionals who do not use visual studio. Yes you need something more then note pad but nothing binds you to vs.net. I use dream weaver myself, and I love it. I do not use dlls extnesively, so the lack of the compiler is not an issue.
    wow thats hella cool man . me i hate dreamweaver

Re: Re: Re: .net framework is free

Originally posted by the_last_rites
    wow thats hella cool man . me i hate dreamweaver
    and your point is?

Visual Studio .Net isn't free, but there's a great free .Net IDE called SharpDevelop available at http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx.

You still need to download the .Net Framework, but then fire this puppy up and enjoy Visual Studio-like functionality.

Thread Information