www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dumb questions...

Arrow Dumb questions...

Hi all...

I have access to VS .NET 2002 and need to start a new project in ASP.NET and C# ...

I am going to need 2003 version or 2002 will be fine?

And...

I have very poor knowlodgment about .NET enviroments and will love to get my hands over a couple of books...

I need them to cover both languages at an advanced level... (A couple of chapters cover the basics will help also)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

1. Version 2002 will be fine for most features.
    2. I think any C# book will be fine to start with. Don't by an expensive one, since the book will only teach you the basics anyway. You can learn all the rest from the MSDN and the Internet. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Most questions are not as dumb as you think they are.

I agree with alon about not spending too much on books, when msdn is probably the best resource, but that said, if you are going to plunk down 40 bucks or so, I like the Wrox Press books.

You can code asp.net with anything, You do not need vs.net 2003, or even 2002. I do not suggesting using something as basic as note pad because it would be a pain in the butt with no syntax hylighting, line numbers, or intellitext, but there are several good things out there. I use dream weaver myself. You can also download webmatrix, its a free asp.net ide.

You can't compile classes though so you might want to look into getting at least the csc or vbc compilers.

version 2002 is fine but solution files of 2003 can not be opened in 2002. So you have to create a different solution and add project files.
    Also u can find .net tutorial from micrososft which is the best way to learn .net

If you are familiar with VB 6 (which has some syntax simialarity to classic asp) - Brian Bischof has a great quick reference for many common tasks. "The .NET Languages: A Quick Tranlation Guide" (isbn 1-893115-48-8)
    "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer.
    "I don't know, BUT I can find out" IS an acceptable answer.

Thread Information