www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: browse to files ("file select" control)

browse to files ("file select" control)

I feel at home among the ASP'ers ('cause I know that you guys know so much more than me, but we still share the same sandbox), but.. on with it......

I posted a longer version earlier today in the Javascript forum (I'll link you there, but you may want to aviod it. lol : http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...&threadid=4890)...
    but here is the pithy version of my question that tells enough of the story:

" How do they make those features where you can browse to the hard-drive to attach a file (like they do for the avatars on this site, and for attaching resumes and files on other sites)? "

I recieved some advice (for which I am grateful) but I am finding it a bit tougher than expected to put all of it together. But I'm game... so I just need a shove in the right direction.

First you should know that I went to ASP101(.com) and apparently I can't use what they have there. Within the code it says:

"YOU MUST HAVE VBSCRIPT v5.0 INSTALLED ON YOUR WEB SERVER FOR THIS LIBRARY TO FUNCTION CORRECTLY'

...but since it didn't work when I tried it, I must be out of luck because I have no control over whats on my web server (and I very little idea of what is actually on my web server to begin with). So... I guess that solution (or any other that requires the same library) is not my answer.

So basically the first and most important question is:
    Is ASP still an option?
    ('cause if I have to take this to the PHP guys, I'm going to cry)

And... no sense taking this further until I know if ASP remains a possibility.
    And I'm genuinely sorry that this post is long too. Sometimes questions really can't be asked without "expounding" a little.

Thanks ASP crew
    k

Hi,
    Always a hard one this, I do have a script that will do this but is need VBScript 5 like the one you already have. The only other way I can think of is to use one of the ASP components like ASPUpload, ASPSmartUpload etc. Follow this link for more Upload components:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2189
    The only problem with this way is that again the component would need to be installed on your host’s server for you to be able to use them.
    Have you contacted your host and asked them if you have access to any ASP upload components?
    Your question about where the files are actually store, well you can do this 2 ways, first you can upload and store the whole file in the database, which takes up a lot of space in your database and will slow it down when trying to retrieve it. Secondly you can just upload the file to a directory then retrieve the file name and just store a reference to the file in a field called filename. Then all you have to do is this:

Code:
    <a herf=”/fileuploadedfolder/<%=rs(“filename”)%>”
    Other than that Khaki I don’t think you can
    ----------------------------------

Thread Information