www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really need help on something so simple

Question I really need help on something so simple

I just started useing frames a cupple weeks ago, and I need some help! I have 3 frames on my page that are in coums but the text allways is in the center of the frame and not at the top! How do i get the text to stay at the top of the frame insted of all ways going into the center.

If you've only been using frames for a couple of weeks then maybe you can stop cold turkey now with little or no withdrawal.

I think Ray's trying to say that most people are actually moving away from frames and trying to use pure css to present their pages. CSS can do what frames do and a lot more. Maybe you should give up trying to fix your frames while you still can and learn css.

Good luck.

(Ray - sorry if I misinterpreted you)

BonRouge, im sure you interpreted him right. However, instead of just saying dont use frames it would be best to explain why not to. This will give him more of a way to 'decide' on his own.

Reasons frames arent as good:
    1. it prevents the user from being able to bookmark a page
    2. it hurts your page in SEO (search engine optimization)
    <!--not really reasons why not good, but correcting some misthought ideas-->
    3. some do use frames because they believe that it speeds the site up a lot for navigation. It really doesnt that much if you make the site with full CSS. the key to speed is a properly laid out site.
    4. u may not think there is another way to get the same appearance. You can achieve the same appearance using pure CSS and you dont get the negative parts of using frames. Only thing is the whole page has to load as if you werent using frames (but remember, speed lies in the site being designed well).

those are the main reasons why not to use frames. It is now up to you to decide what you want to do. Personally, I would go with CSS because it is a LOT easier to learn. I originally learned all the improper code and it was confusing (well, i understood it, but looking back now, its a mess!) using CSS makes making a site so much easier and updates are not a problem.

ok

thx for your help guys
    Ill try to find a place that i can learn css
    does anyone know any? tell me

Well i want something that is free

The information is free. That's what you need.

Ya i saw that after i posted that message
    Thanks for you help though

Don't let these guys run you off just because they disapprove of the way you design your site.

If your frameset looks something like...
    PHP Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd"
    >

<
    html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-US">
      <
    head>
        <
    meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<
    title>Frameset</title>
      </
    head>

<
    frameset cols="*,*,*">
        <
    frame name="leftcol" src="leftpage.html" />
        <
    frame name="centercol" src="centerpage.html" />
        <
    frame name="rightcol" src="rightpage.html" />
      </
    frameset>
    </
    html
    Then your problem lies within your framed pages (leftpage.html, centerpage.html, rightpage.html). It would help to see what you have.

<rant>I'd appreciate it if you were to disregard Josh's post, Chames. What we are telling you is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact: frames are wrong for presenting your page, for the reasons Pawky has listed. Everything they do can be acheived in another way, and while Josh may think we are merely saying what we think is right, we are actually telling you the right way to go.</rant>

Originally posted by Ben R.
    <rant>I'd appreciate it if you were to disregard Josh's post, Chames. What we are telling you is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact: frames are wrong for presenting your page, for the reasons Pawky has listed. Everything they do can be acheived in another way, and while Josh may think we are merely saying what we think is right, we are actually telling you the right way to go.</rant>
    Not really. They may be unfriendly, ugly, and the mark of an amateur, they aren't necessarily "wrong". Using tables for layout is wrong, because that isn't what tables are meant to do; you can only do with frames what you are meant to do with them, hence, you can't really be "wrong" in using them. Supposedly, frames can be accessible, but I've yet to see a site that implemented frames in an accessible manner.

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    Not really. They may be unfriendly, ugly, and the mark of an amateur, they aren't necessarily "wrong". Using tables for layout is wrong, because that isn't what tables are meant to do; you can only do with frames what you are meant to do with them, hence, you can't really be "wrong" in using them. Supposedly, frames can be accessible, but I've yet to see a site that implemented frames in an accessible manner.
    They are wrong to use on the world wide web. They do nothing that can't be accomplished in a better way, and also have many negative effects. Therefore, they are wrong.

Originally posted by Ben R.
    They are wrong to use on the world wide web. They do nothing that can't be accomplished in a better way, and also have many negative effects. Therefore, they are wrong.
    Tell that to the W3C.

Thread Information