www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: From manipulation

From manipulation

The goal is to opening a new form by clicking a button in the old form and at the same time the old form will be closed. How to do that?

Following code is giving me error.

Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form
        Dim secondForm As Form2
        Dim firstForm As Form1
    #Region 
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            secondForm.Show()
            firstForm.Close()
        End Sub
    End Class

Public Class Form1
    Dim firstForm As Form1

You're trying to declare an object of the class within the definition of the class itself.

Also, secondForm would belong to firstForm, so, IIRC, if you close firstForm, you'd also lose secondForm.

Way out: In the module, form, or class that creates the instances of Form1 and Form2, put in an event handler for the button click on the Form1 instance and deal with the showing and hiding/closing there.

I am new in VB.NET. Could you please provide me piece of code. It would be helpful to understand. Thank you.

I havn't done any non-web programming lately, longer still since doing a non-web Windows GUI app, so I don't really have any good examples or recollections at hand.

Just to confirm, you are aware that the code you are working with ISN'T for web pages, but rather for Windows GUI apps?

Also, if you're not already aware of it, http://msdn.microsoft.com is an excellent source of information on programming with .NET.

i recommend u to buy or download a softcopy of a book focusing on object oriented design and object oriented programming , it'd be better for u if the book uses VB.net for its example codes...

Thread Information