www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: System28.com

System28.com

Hi, just finished my site after what seems like years making it. There are some pages with the old design on but most of the site is in the black and yellow design.

Any comments will be appreciated
    System 28

Hi please read the Sticky lose the table layout. And your site loads slow even with broadband

[list=1][*]Loose the layout, replace the tables with css.[*]That avatar is novel for about 3 seconds, then it is irrating for about 7 seconds then it ruins the site thereafter.[*]Something about what the point of the site is would be nice.[*]You might want your site to at least vaugley be valid.[/list=1]
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Here are reason tables layout sux

coding...
    agree with lakers01 about table layout and reading sticky re: validation. getting rid of the tables would help with the download speed. since your site deals with images you might want to get an icra metatag.

design...
    things you might what to think about changing:
    -the home link in the menu reloads the home page even when you are already on it, which wastes time and annoys users who click on it by accident. disable it, and the same goes for the rest of the links in the menu when you are on that page.
    -its usually recommended that the title logo at the top of the page is a link to the home page (except on the home page) to give users who get lost an easy way to get back to familiar ground.
    -your text links are the same color, font, size, etc as the rest of your text making it impossible to tell what is and isn't a link without rolling over everything. and when rolled over the change indicating that it is a link isnt really enough for users with sight difficulties.
    -your text is of fixed size, and small too, making it difficult for
    those who have sight difficulties to use your site.
    -nothing on the home page explains what the site is about or why anyone would want to stay there to find out.
    -all those posts on the home page by you make it look like you are the only one that visits your site. get rid of them and put something interesting and informative there.
    -the faq's are not faq's, this is 'about' info which should really have a more promenant place on the site. most new visitors will follow the menu in the order you present it, so telling them everything they need to know about the site after they have looked through all the pages make no sense. make it 01 in the menu and on the home page write something that tells new visitors to visit the about page to find out about S28.
    -the last line of text on the faq page says to email you but doesnt say how, suggest making the whole line of text, or your name, a mailto: link.
    -since the images and flash have genres in their info you could think about sorting and displaying them by genre.
    -your 'click here to view...' links open in another window. not a problem in itself but if you are going to have it that way you should tell users what will happen if they do click here. you may annoy and confuse users by having windows opening when what they expected was to see a flash. better to have it opening in the same window.

things that you should keep:
    -color scheme. although black backgrounds should generally be avoided, yours works well as it makes viewing the imagesand flash easier on the eye. you could even improve it in some sections by adding the same background that is in the advertisment to ease the contrast.
    -flash and image info is really useful and saves a lot of time. you could add a description to save more time for the user or to entice them to open it.
    -the kb collecting and voting idea is excellent, again sell it on the home page as the reason people should come to your site and stay there. you could even have kb awards for users who's image/flash gets voted top for ten days in a row, etc.
    -in forum the entire block which contains the text is the link target area. this is much better than it being a text link. perhaps you could make more links like this, especially the menu.

keep up the good work

Originally posted by rapid
    coding...
    agree with lakers01 about table layout and reading sticky re: validation. getting rid of the tables would help with the download speed. since your site deals with images you might want to get an icra metatag.
    I dont think I'll change every page right away I'll do it gradually over time, but somebody on the site has complained about loading times so I will have to change it

design...
    things you might what to think about changing:
    -the home link in the menu reloads the home page even when you are already on it, which wastes time and annoys users who click on it by accident. disable it, and the same goes for the rest of the links in the menu when you are on that page.
    -its usually recommended that the title logo at the top of the page is a link to the home page (except on the home page) to give users who get lost an easy way to get back to familiar ground.
    The menu and the footer are both ASP includes so I dont know if I can disable certain links depending on the page, I'll try it though.

-your text links are the same color, font, size, etc as the rest of your text making it impossible to tell what is and isn't a link without rolling over everything. and when rolled over the change indicating that it is a link isnt really enough for users with sight difficulties.
    -your text is of fixed size, and small too, making it difficult for
    those who have sight difficulties to use your site.
    Thats a simple change in the stylesheet so I'll try that out

-the last line of text on the faq page says to email you but doesnt say how, suggest making the whole line of text, or your name, a mailto: link.
    Well the 'email me' is a link, so I guess that just backs up your last point about the links not being clear

-since the images and flash have genres in their info you could think about sorting and displaying them by genre.
    All the images and flash can be sorted by several things on the view all page, but that isnt too clear either.

Thanks for all the feedback its given me alot of things to work on that I would have overlooked

Originally posted by Zoboda
    I dont think I'll change every page right away I'll do it gradually over time, but somebody on the site has complained about loading times so I will have to change it.
    Include a link to a style sheet (probably as the same include as your doctype, html tag and body tag) on every page, have no formatting on the page, at all. That way it's a lot quicker change every page, very quickly.
    Plus having no formatting on your page (having it all in the style sheet) will make load times a lot quicker.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Originally posted by Zoboda
    The menu and the footer are both ASP includes so I dont know if I can disable certain links depending on the page, I'll try it though.
    Not sure about ASP, but PHP can tell you what the current URL is, and based on the URL you could tell it not to display certain links. So maybe ASP has a similiar way of determining the current page.

Thread Information