www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Volume Control on Web Page

Volume Control on Web Page

I am a 'newbie' to building web-pages and working on 1 for my church.

I have seen various web-sites that have a volume control, usually a slider bar of some kind, that allows the person to adjust the volume of the music being played on that page. I know how to add the music to the page, but how do I get the volume control displayed? Sometimes it is a QuickTime control and others it is Windows Media Player.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you're talking about the EMBED tag. It goes something like this:

Code:
    <EMBED SRC="filename.mid"></EMBED>
    Basicall, it tells the browser to embed the sound. However, the embed commands are associated with plug-ins. You might want to insert Width=x and Height=x the code above, that's what deals with the control panel.

Typically you'd have to use propriety <param>, attributes within an <object>. For example in QuickTime: <param name="controller" value="true" /> since <embed> doesn't really exist also you'd have to set up your mime types.

As it has been said before you are relying on plugins and cannot truly affect which media player is used, however you can sway the balance by using good code.

Robert, you can still use the EMBED tag. Unless you can't run it under a browser that works, then you have to use something else. It might not meet the HTML 4 line specification at W3C though. Also, the code...

Code:
    <param name="controller" value="true" />
    You really don't need the slash "/" at the end there.

Originally posted by ecross
    Robert, you can still use the EMBED tag. Unless you can't run it under a browser that works, then you have to use something else. It might not meet the HTML 4 line specification at W3C though. Also, the code...

Code:
    <param name="controller" value="true" />
    You really don't need the slash "/" at the end there.
    The "/" comes from the habit of typing XHTML, where the "/" IS required, but technically it's wrong in HTML 4.01

Though, if you MUST use propietary code like <embed> at least start using the proper <object> tag to nest it if possible.

eg

<object><embed></embed></object>

That should make correctly working browsers use the <object> tag while leaving in the <embed> for old buggy browsers that only understands <embed>.

Stefan you are slacking the proprietary <embed> is an empty element .

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheTechie

I have seen various web-sites that have a volume control, usually a slider bar of some kind, that allows the person to adjust the volume of the music being played on that page. I know how to add the music to the page, but how do I get the volume control displayed? Sometimes it is a QuickTime control and others it is Windows Media Player.

I tend to agree mostly, but I'm still not sure that I understand everything here.

=================================================

Visit my site - http://www.chinesemedicineadvisor.com

Being a new developer, it is easy to get caught up in trying to sho what you can do not necessarily what you should do. I would rethink adding music to the site as it typically doesn't offer much value. It can take a long time to load and some people are just annoyed by it. I would say take the time and spend it on home to make it more visually appealing and navigatible.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheTechie

This will be a pretty good thread - just not quite getting everything - but there again, I'm new!

Thread Information