dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I need help in frames navigation

I need help in frames navigation

Hi does anyone knows how to do frames navigation with buttons. I now have 3 frames(frame header, left and content). I have the button on the left frame. So let say i have 4 button on the left frame, and i click on idividual button, the main frames will show the individual page that i have directed to it. I got the frames done. Now is that i dont know how to target the frame with button. i can do it with <a href="asd.aspx target="content"></a>. But how do i do it with buttons?

Dont use frames for mavigation. Frames are not accessible and frames annoy the user by killing his abiity to use the back button. A better solution would to use a server side include to get content on every page. Also, why use a commmand button for navigation?

I got no choice anyway i am using VS.net to do the asp.net web application under VB langauage. My project require my to use frame and button.

why? If you do it this way it is going to require you to use client side scripting I believe. Thus making your site extremely inaccessible with frames and js. There is no good reason, what so ever, to do this.

Now I am doing my final yr project. But i am require to do frames so therfore no choice.i search alot of books but only say how to use link instead of buttton.

Well if you use a button, it is going to need java script to make it work and keep it pretty.

Here is what you might try: do a response.redirect back to the navigation frame, but use a query string to identify what page the user wanted to go to and then put that page in the other frame from the directory or just pass that query string over to the other frame and pull that data from the db. But it is going to cause the whole thing to refresh so it will not be as pretty as if you used a link. It is either doing it this way (to keep it more accessible) or you use java script which is terribly inaccessible. Keep in mind about 4% of the internet will not read your java script.

Response.Write("<" & "script>" & "parent.main.location='Consent/Staff_Search.aspx'</script>")
    End Sub

Now i Found this but it kind of dont work men

You either need to just write out the raw javascript on the page to run when the user clicks the button or you need to use asp.net to write out on page load to occur when the user clicks the button. You do not want a server side asp.net button in this case because if you do that and the user clicks the button your page gets resent to the server. If you do this with a redirect and a query string you want to resent the page, but if you use java script you do not.

Thread Information