www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Databse project??

Databse project??

Ok heres what i need to do i need a string that can open a MS access DB what i want to do from their is read from the database and print it then from fields on the page the user can change the data and it is changed in the database.

I am doing this site is VBScript and i haven't done VBScript before i use PERL mostly with some PHP and i'm in new territory any info will help.

Thanks
    Jas

hi Jas,
    What you are asking is possible but would require a lot more than just a few lines of code. I am sure you are not looking for someone to provide you all the code you need in the one go. If you spend a few hours going through all the posts in the ASP forum i am sure you will find a lot of code that you can use to build what you require. If you still have problems then you can start by posting the code that is causing you problems then we would be able to help you more.

Hope this helps
    ----------------------------------

Yeah, for sure.

1. You need to display the fields by creating a page todo that, You'll need to know how to make a db connection and sql statements

2. Your going to make each one of those fields linkable, and then your going to need pass information to the next page. the best way is to have somthing like modifyfor.asp?id=85
    the 85 would represent the field that you clicked on

3.You need a modify form. On this page, it will recieve that id=85 and then you'll again need to make a db connection and an sql statment, in this sql satement you'll need a where id = 85

4.Then, you need a form on that page consisting of a text field and a submit button, and within the text field default text you'll want to display the information gathered from the SQL statement

5. Then the user will be able to edit that info then re-submit it

6. You'll need to submit that form to a modify page where again it will have a db connection and an sql statement and a modify statement

as you can see this is a long process. Instead, you should take this step by step. 1st learning the fundamentals of ASP which will allow you to pass information from page to page. Lean how to display records, then learn how to modify records...Best thing todo is get a book, and read it from cover to cover

Thank you for that info i've found learning the Syntax of ASP is more difficult then i had anticipated. I am just going to get a learn ASP book and just start there or maybe talk to the guy whose server i'm running this on to see if he can set up PHP.

Thanks
    Jas

celebguy_dv Guest

celebguy_dv Guest

Thread Information