www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: art portfolio-themed website

Wink art portfolio-themed website

I am new-ish to web development/design and would appreciate any feedback, comments, concerns on my website (constant work-in-progress). I read the sticky on using CSS instead of tables, and am learning that now...sorry, my site does use tables at this point. I am continuing to expand my skills, and will read as much as I can on CSS so that I can use proper techniques. Please rate my site as it stands...technical advice will be taken thoughtfully as well as design critiques.

www.home.earthlink.net/~lucycatcgo

Thank you very much!

I see you have a w3 button, that's good, it shows you made an effort with your code. But does it mean that your code is good? It looks you ought to be looking at this thread.

Also, I don't care but a lot of folks here don't like splash pages.

Also, I don't care but a lot of folks here don't like splash pages.
    I don't.

Your main page is much better than the splash page. Forget the splash page.

Your navigation isn't very clear either. Otherwise, it seems quite nice.

Thanks and one more question

I see you have a w3 button, that's good, it shows you made an effort with your code. But does it mean that your code is good? It looks you ought to be looking at this thread.
    Thank you for the comments and the link to the thread on CSS for layout...I briefly looked at them and found useful info in them...will take a more in-depth look later.

Forget the splash page.
    One question about splash pages...why are they so undesireable?

For me the reasons against splash pages:

1. A visitor to your site wants to see your site, not a page telling them they're about to enter your site.

2. Search engines will not find your site and it will not get a very good ranking (if any). What they'll find is a link to your site.

3. I think sometimes that the web designer considers their site such an amazing creation that a splash page is like a curtain to be drawn back for visitors to gasp in wonder at the beauty within. Sadly not usually the case.

4. It's much easier to do a great looking page that has nice graphics but doesn't leave room for any content. A good page design has great layout, graphics, ooh-aahh effects and can still deliver the content - which is the point of web pages anyway - is actually very difficult to do.

Splash pages really derive from windows (and mac) applications that take a while to load before running so gives you something to look at while you wait.

Just remember that the point of a web page is that it's for someone else to look at so you need to think very clearly about how they will "use it" for the first time. Which is why it's a good idea to get others to look at it (which you did of course).

Crumbs, that was a lot of blether from me there! Still, I hope that answered your question.

Site Navigation and splash pages

A visitor to your site wants to see your site, not a page telling them they're about to enter your site.
    Crumbs, that was a lot of blether from me there! Still, I hope that answered your question.
    Blether is okay!

Thank you for those points on splash pages...I have to say I agree mostly. I do find myself impatient with the intro/curtain concept in other sites, but it is easy to not feel the same way with my own. I will leave it as is, of course, for awhile to give the idea some thought.

I also think navigation can fall to the same issue. I am so familiar with my site and how to move around it, that it can be difficult to know whether other users find it confusing or clear. I tend to like to show friends my site and watch what they click first and what they totally never find. If you have a chance, any comments on why the navigation was unclear would be helpful. I've gone through a lot of redesigns on that idea, and want to create something I can build on for later additions. Not sure I've been so successful at that yet, but ideas are bouncing around in my brain. Thanks for replying.

For your navigation I noticed you have links along the top as well as some dotted along the bottom. I would suggest keeping them all in the same area, and have them all the same colour/style that differs from all other text on the page. Try to have some sort of mouse-over response to the links too (using CSS works well).

Also, be careful to be consistant with you fonts. No more than 2 and use each consistantly throughout, e.g. big text Serif, normal/small text as sans serif.

One last thought...you page is quite monochromatic. Maybe introduce more more contrasting colour, just very subtly might lift the site a little.

Hope that helps.

Thread Information