www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Anime thread

A series of tubes known as the "internets"

Anime thread

i see a lot of this talk here, so i'll just start a thread about it. Use this thread to talk about your favorite anime shows and characters. this being said, i'm unsubscribing. call me if you need me.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Heh..I really like anime..in fact I am studying, on my own of course, anime style drawing.

Last night I watched the anime film "Princess Mononoke"...I have seen it five times already and never tire of it. The animation, music, themes..I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the area I live in has little to offer in the anime dept. so I get whatever movies I can.

I realize some don't like anime and think it is a waste of time..that's fine. But I, for one, think it is way better than 99.99% of the US made animation which has been purposely watered down so it is palatable to even a two year old....
    Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
    To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
    That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
    In those days we really believed that to be the worlds one, and only truth.
    - FullMetal Alchemist

<rant>
    I'm not a big anime fan for the most part... I prefer manga, which is actually in pretty high demand at teh local (and by local I mean like an hour away) Borders. I like the original, albeit translated original- I'm collecting Rorouni Kenshin (VERY good), Shaman King (if you like the anime, I hate you), Naruto (, all I can say), and Trigun (Confusing, but nifty). I've collected the first 3 volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh (the show is corny as hell; "other Yugi", in the beginning, was a killer who didn't have time for card games, and Jonouchi + Honda are gang members- MUCH more interesting), the first 15 of Dragonball (and I plan to get the last 3- funny as hell), and the first 15 of DBZ (I'm stopping there, not much diff from the anime).

The anime versions of so many mangas suck balls in comparison. It's why I tend not to watch it: the anime is so much better. Also, the "anime drawing style"- what the hell? Not all anime is drawn the same. Kenshin is very realisticly done; Shaman King is done in this inky, exxagerated, cartoony style that looks funny when the mood is light and epic when the mood is more dramatic; Naruto is done in a very smooth, demi-realistic style that's pretty realistic, does great for the scenery, and makes the action make sense. I guess all anime looks pretty much the same, but each manga has its own personality.

Even so, yes, anime for the most part has better characters, plot, and premise than most U.S. television (assuming we're excluding Family Guy, Futurama, The Simpsons, and The Oblongs, of course ). The only anime movie I've seen (and want to see again) is Akira... that movie kicked previously unprecedented amounts of ass.
    </rant>

Originally posted by Ben R.
    the first 15 of Dragonball (and I plan to get the last 3- funny as hell), and the first 15 of DBZ (I'm stopping there, not much diff from the anime).
    When I can get up the cash, I'm buying the entire DBZ series on DVD, then the DB series, then the DBGT series. Hawt.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    When I can get up the cash, I'm buying the entire DBZ series on DVD, then the DB series, then the DBGT series. Hawt.
    And yet you said you didn't like it anymore? Why not just buy the mangas? $8 a pop, each covers about 10 episodes, as opposed to $13 a pop, covering one episode. You'd be saving $122 for each 10 episodes. (DBGT doesn't exist in manga form though, methinks. Not Toriyama's creation.)

Does it piss anyone else off that Goku, as a kid, killed hundreds of nearly-innocents, yet he refuses to kill those who plan to destroy the world as an adult?

And yet you said you didn't like it anymore? Why not just buy the mangas? $8 a pop, each covers about 10 episodes, as opposed to $13 a pop, covering one episode. You'd be saving $122 for each 10 episodes.
    Because I want to watch it, not read it.

Does it piss anyone else off that Goku, as a kid, killed hundreds of nearly-innocents, yet he refuses to kill those who plan to destroy the world as an adult?
    What near-innocents did he kill as a child? He doesn't refuse to kill them, he gives them a second chance -- and if they still try to blow up the world, then he lays a major beatdown on their mondo biscuits.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

What near-innocents did he kill as a child? He doesn't refuse to kill them, he gives them a second chance -- and if they still try to blow up the world, then he lays a major beatdown on their mondo biscuits.
    Entire red ribbon army, for one (about a thousand people right there). They weren't evil, they just needed a job. All villains = dead. No second chance shizz. I could search the manga for a few more deaths, but... meh.

Oh, yes, and I forgot YuYu Hakusho! Damn good series. Suzaku kicks ass. "Vow to eat Keiko Yukimara's heart..." he earns my fandom right there. That, and the fact Yusuke would've died defeating him if Kuwabara hadn't lent him some energy...
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 12-01-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Entire red ribbon army, for one (about a thousand people right there). They weren't evil, they just needed a job. All villains = dead. No second chance shizz. I could search the manga for a few more deaths, but... meh.
    No, the RR Army was evil.

Oh, yes, and I forgot YuYu Hakusho! Damn good series. Suzaku kicks ass. "Vow to eat Keiko Yukimara's heart..." he earns my fandom right there. That, and the fact Yusuke would've died defeating him if Kuwabara hadn't lent him some energy...
    Yeah, Yu Yu is pretty good. Hiei's the man. He's so badass. Yusuke's pretty good, but pretty lame, too -- I mean, what's with that stupid Spirit Gun thing? Karasu, Bui, and the younger Toguro brother are some of the dopest characters.
    Last edited by Paul Jr; 12-01-2004 at 06:43 PM.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

No, the RR Army was evil.
    Not as evil, no. It was a organization of thousands (basically a gang) that had workers. He slaughtered them all, without a second thought... yet he allows others, who wish to destroy the universe, life. He tried to spare Frieza, yet slaughters the guy with a shovel.

Not as evil, no. It was a organization of thousands (basically a gang) that had workers. He slaughtered them all, without a second thought... yet he allows others, who wish to destroy the universe, life. He tried to spare Frieza, yet slaughters the guy with a shovel.
    I watched it too long ago to remember what exactly the RR Army did, but they deserved what they got. Plus, when Goku tried to rescue whatever dude they had captive, they all tried to kill him, so he just defended himself.

Frieza he tried to spare, yes, but Frieza would have nothing to do with it, so Goku clocked his punk***.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

I watched it too long ago to remember what exactly the RR Army did, but they deserved what they got. Plus, when Goku tried to rescue whatever dude they had captive, they all tried to kill him, so he just defended himself.

Frieza he tried to spare, yes, but Frieza would have nothing to do with it, so Goku clocked his punk***.
    Actually, Frieza still lived, if you remember. He tried like 5 times, and then nearly died because Frieza kept attacking- Goku didn't exactly defend himself once he was sufficiently beat down. As for the RR army... general antagonization. I think he attacked the base to get the final dragonball- must've because he destroyed the base before leaving.

Actually, Frieza still lived, if you remember. He tried like 5 times, and then nearly died because Frieza kept attacking- Goku didn't exactly defend himself once he was sufficiently beat down.
    I didn't see a lot of the earlier episodes. If I remember, he did kill Frieza, didn't he? Frieza was cut in half, and Goku gave him some energy and a second chance, but Frieza didn't want that and tried to kill Goku again, so Goku ascended (he already could, but at the moment he wasn't in the SSJ state) and beat his ass down without blinking an eye.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Not well enough, if you'll remember he had to go, Frieza escaped into the vacuum of space, to be rebuilt and later killed by Trunks, along with King Cold.

The episode in which what I described occured was the last one of that Saga that I saw. Oh well, no big deal; I'm going to acquire the entire series anyway, and watch it all at once.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Thread Information